CHAPTER ONE

"Sweetheart, there's mail on the table for you," my mother called from the dining room.

I trudged over to the polished hardwood dining table while rubbing my sleepy eyes.

"Who is it from?" I asked her while yawning.

"I don't know. It's in Korean," she replied from the kitchen.

I sat down and opened the envelope, disregarding the strange fact that someone from Korea would be writing to me. As I opened up the ink-stained piece of paper, confusion coursed through my veins. The letter was written in Hangul, the Korean language.

"What is this...?" I muttered.

Using my mediocre Hangul-reading skills, I was able to make out what most of the letter said. It went something like this:

Annyeonghaseyo, Mindy! Sorry it took so long to reply. We were in Japan for a month or so and didn't receive this letter until returning to Korea. I know you're Korean isn't perfect and I hope you can read this. (This next part was in a messy handwriting) That idiot didn't even introduce himself. That was G-Dragon. It's TOP, now. It's great to hear from you. I bet it took a great deal of money for you to send your letter all the way from California! And we thought your letter was really touching and would like to reply to your request. (Seungri adds his name) Hello! (In English) It's Panda Seungri. :) We just wanted to tell you that we would love for you to visit us in our recording studio when you go to Korea for your language training vacation this summer. <3 (Taeyang) Wassuuup! Please contact us through email to let us know the information so we can plan out the schedule. :) (Daesung) ^___^ we hope to hear from you soon! (All) Saranghae! -Love, Big Bang.

My heart pumped vehemently against my chest. Around two months ago...I remembered now. I had sent a letter to the members of Big Bang two months ago...requesting...I looked down at the letter.

"MOOOOOOMM."

Flying from California to Korea took 17 hours and a bad case of jet lag, yet I still felt the trepidation as I watched the tops of houses and buildings as my plane flew over them. I bit my lip as the plane's wheels hit the pavement.

"Are you okay?" a man asked beside me.

What?" I asked. Then I realized I was rapidly tapping my feet against the plane's floor. "Oh, yes. I'm alright."

The man rolled his eyes and returned back to his iPad.

Soon enough, the plane landed and I raced off the place, got my luggage, and entered the main area in Incheon Airport. I, then, spotted a couple holding a sign with my name on it. My brain instinctively switched from English to Korean as I walked up the them.

"Annyeonghaseyo!" I greeted.

"Annyeonghaseyo...is it...Min...dy?" the woman asked.

"Yes, it is." I smiled.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Lee Eun Mi and this is my husband, Lee Sang Ki." She pointed to the man next to her. I bowed and shook his hand.

Then Eun Mi pointed to the little girl standing in between the two. "And this is little So Young."

As I reached out my hand to shake, she hid behind her mother's leg. "Is this your daughter?" I asked laughing.

"Yes, it is," Sang Ki chuckled. "Don't be rude, So Young. Come and say hello to your unni." So Young stared up at me with frightened eyes. "She's unnatural with strangers but I'm sure she'll get used with you soon."

On the car ride to Seoul, I called my parents to tell them I landed safely and I ran over my plans with the Lee's. By the time we reached the apartment, it was late into the night. So Young had fallen asleep and I yawned continuously.

"Looks like the girls are sleepy," Sang Ki said. "I'll help you with your items and then you should rest."

As we got to the apartment door, there was a gift basket with my name on it. Sang Ki and Eun Mi looked at each other in confusion but told me to take it anyway.

Inside, I discovered snacks and a card that said: Here's a welcome basket and the card to access the YG building! We hope to see you soon!-Love, Big Bang.

I laughed and shared the snacks with the family and went to bed. I laid there, staring at the ceiling of the apartment for hours. I was in Korea and I was going to meet Big Bang.

I woke up the next morning at 12 in the afternoon to the smell of meat cooking in the kitchen. Out in the kitchen, Eun Mi was stir-frying pork with onions on the pan for lunch.

When she noticed me, she smiled and said, "Come sit and eat. Then I'll give you a tour of Seoul."

Not being able to resist the mouthwatering taste of the pork, I obediently sat down in the seat at the table in the kitchen next to So Young. She stared at me with frightened eyes in her seat and scooted a bit further away from me. I waved and smiled at her but she still stared at me, scared. Eun Mi laughed.

After breakfast, Eun Mi, So Young, and I walked around the streets of the busy downtown Seoul, rode the train, visited little shops, and ate ice cream and fish cake. At 4, Eun Mi and So Young left me at the YG building so they could go visit Sang Ki at his workplace.

My hand shook as I scanned the card to access the building. When the scanner flashed green, I pulled open the door nervously and walked into the modern, main lobby of the building.

Suddenly, a loud voice called out in a harsh dialect of Korean, "Who are you and what are you doing here?!"