Turn and Walk Away

8th Grade – Spring Semester

"Do I look sick? Should I go see the nurse?"

Kyungsoo stopped what he was doing to frown at his friend. "Stop trying to get out of gym class, Luhan. It's not that bad."

Luhan, however, begged to differ. "Do you even know what we're doing today, Kyungsoo?"

Kyungsoo shook his head. "Does it matter?"

"Of course it matters!" Luhan exclaimed indignantly as he quickly shoved the hideous forest green t-shirt over his head. "We're playing dodgeball! Dodgeball, Kyungsoo."

Yixing, who was trying to change into his gym shorts, chuckled. "Dodgeball is actually fun, Luhan."

"No, it's not!"

"You're only saying that because you never won," Kyungsoo suggested, sitting down on the bench to lace his sneakers.

"Forget winning, I've never even gotten to hit anybody with the ball," Luhan said dejectedly. "I'm always dodging."

Kyungsoo and Yixing laughed, and Luhan made a pouty face at them, which only spurred them to laugh louder.

"Come on, it's not funny."

Kyungsoo immediately stopped laughing and took a deep breath. "Okay, you're right. It's not, but hey maybe you'll get the ball today and possibly even win."

Luhan plopped down on the bench next to Kyungsoo. "You know that's never going to happen – not if Sehun could help it. Let's face it, in order to win, I need to be on his team, and that has never happened."

"It really is too bad that you're never on his team because it feels awesome winning," Yixing commented, patting Luhan on the back. "But you might get lucky today. He could pick you."

Luhan scoffed. "He hates me, so why would he want me to be on his team? It's more entertaining for him to throw the ball at me."

"Well, to be fair, everybody likes throwing the ball at you. You tend to scream like a girl."

"I do not!"

"Really?"

"Just because my voice hasn't change like everyone else's doesn't mean I sound like a girl. My body just likes to take its time. Besides, puberty's dumb."

Yixing fell off the bench in laughter at Luhan's excuse as to why he still sounds like he did in elementary. Luhan doesn't appreciate the gesture, so he sent Yixing a swift kick to the knee.

"Stop laughing and start acting like a real friend, Yixing!"

"Alright. Okay, I'm sorry." Yixing stood up and held out his hand. "Promise I won't attack you, so how about a handshake?"

Instead of taking his hand, Luhan kicked Yixing in the shin, earning a yelp from the other. "That's your idea of being a real friend? Seriously?"

Yixing rubbed his injured shin and gave Luhan a pout that almost made him feel bad. "Forget it then," Yixing mumbled.

Kyungsoo sighed. "Luhan, he was just trying to help."

"I know....but –"

"Listen, dodgeball is not going to end in a disaster like you think it is."

Luhan opened his mouth to retaliate, but Kyungsoo quickly cuts him off. "I know you. You're probably thinking you'll get knocked out and end up in a coma, but that's not going to happen. Trust me."