(12)

* * * *

"But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more."

― Hans Christian Andersen, The Little Mermaid

* * * *

{Chapter: 12}

Unedited ✖

{ A S P E N M O N T G O M E R Y }

Julius comes to Edith's side, placing a hand on her shoulder as if to sooth her.

I keep my eyes on the shell-shocked Edith as she tries to comprehend my words.

"You--but she--you know?" She stutters, looking at me in astonishment.

I nod my head, shoving my hands into my pockets.

She goes silent for a moment and then understanding crosses her features. I watch her as she faces Julius and they have some sort of silent conversation between each other before beginning to talked in hushed words. I think back to the night we had dinner with Nicholai and the looks Edith and Julius gave me after he left. As if they something I didn't.

I realize now they must have both known he was my mate before me. Although Edith still seemed utterly shocked when I told her I knew about werewolves, I don't quite understand why she was so surprised. She had to have known I was going to know eventually.

 Deep down I somewhat hoped that if Julius never told me about being Nicholai's mate that maybe Edith would have stepped up to the plate and revealed it all to me herself. I don't know her views on Nicholai or how well she knows him, but I still hope that even if she didn't like the guy she'd still be honest with me.

I tune into the whispered conversation Edith started with Julius and watch as she slaps him up side the head.

"Why didn't you tell me you stupid oaf?"

Julius rubs the spot on his head with a faux hurt look on his masculine features.

"No need to abuse me, woman." He grumbles.

Edith glares at him and props her fists on her hips.

Julius sighs. "I'm sorry, I should have told you. Don't be mad." He reaches for her but she ducks out of arms reach and instead turns her back to him, giving him the cold shoulder.

He pouts at her upturned chin and I refrain from smirking at him over her shoulder. Cretin, deserves it.

"You have a lot of explaining to do." I say, pointing between the two of them.

Edith looks guilty and shuffles her feet.

"I know." She mumbles.

"Lets start off with how you two met and when my sister found out about your furry features." I say, sending a pointed look towards the sulking Julius who is poking my sisters back, trying to gain back her attention.

Edith lets out a breath and nods before turning, swatting Julius' hand away, and walking into the living room with Julius following close behind her and me behind him. They both take a seat on the opposite side of the room and I plop down in the small recliner to the left of them.

"So, start yapping." I say impatiently, folding my hands in my lap.

Edith sends me a scolding look, not appreciating my tone, and Julius just looks completely relaxed about the situation, which doesn't surprise me. His laid-back personality must be a gift in these sorts of situations.