(9)

* * * *

"Only the gentle are ever really strong."

― James Dean

* * * *

{Chapter: 9}

Unedited ✖

{ A S P E N M O N T G O M E R Y }

"WHAT?"

Julius' face drops instantly, his facial expression morphing into one of surprise.

My eyes have widened to the size of dinner plates, my fingers loosing their grip on my shoes as they fall to the floor with an audible thump. I gasp, clutching the fabric of my shirt over my stomach.

"Wait, he didn't tell you?" Julius asks, looking shocked.

"NO!" I scream. "No he didn't tell me!"

I'm thunderstruck, totally and inexplicably flabbergasted. I had no idea...

That's what I was missing. How could I be so stupid? When Nicholai was explaining everything to me, I'd just...I didn't think...I can't believe I didn't notice. Something was off, I knew that much, but I'd figured it was simply because he was uncomfortable.

I'm succumbed to my emotions as I adjust to the realty of this situation; I'm a werewolves mate. How long have a been here? A week? And already my life has been tossed into chaos. What kind of twisted episode of twilight is this?

The more I think about it all anger overtakes my being, all my astonishment being swept under the rug for the time being. After everything he told me in the restaurant, about how important and incredible mates were, he knew who I was to him, and he didn't bother to tell me? That mother-effing A-HOLE!

I can't even focus on my shock any longer. The news, while extremely surprising because it's not everyday you become a werewolves mate, doesn't hold a candle to the feral emotions coursing through me. My hands shake in utter furry as I begin pacing in rage in front of a quiet Julius.

I don't even understand why I'm so angry, I should be more speechless than anything, but for reasons other than anger. Surprise, shock, something along those lines given the news. But everything only adds more fuel to the flame as it grows to burn hot in the pit of my stomach. I hate being lied to, it's an extreme pet peeve of mine, as well as being kept in the dark.

I absolutely hate being oblivious to things around me. It makes me a feel weak, vulnerable. My father always taught me to be observant, to know anything and everything about my surroundings. It insures control, dominance.

It promises power.

{ F L A S H B A C K }

"You should always be on top," He said with a stern voice, using his famous no-nonsense voice. "Always be in control and never let your guard down to anyone. No person is worth your whole life, especially if their purpose is only to tear you down once they get what they want. People are deceitful, Aspen. You can't trust anyone. People are devils in disguise as angels. You must have a trained eye to be able to tell them apart, but not even then should you ever feel safe. He who holds the most power controls the world."

I nodded my head, like I'm supposed to. Never argue, never talk without permission, no sass, and always maintain constant eye contact, daddy's orders.