(10)

* * * *

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."

― William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well

* * * *

{Chapter: 10}

Unedited ✖

{ A S P E N M O N T G O M E R Y }

"My life is in danger?" I ask slowly, not quite believing it.

Nicholai nods, not seeming at all happy with his own words, his fists latched firmly to the edge of his desk while he leans his body weight against it.

"I'll answer all your questions. But if I'm going to tell you everything like you want me to, you have to promise me something first."

"I've never been good at keeping my word," I mutter but clear my throat when Nicholai sends me an unimpressed look.

I pause a moment, wondering what I'm getting myself into. But I soon realize that there is no better option. I need answers and Nicholai is the only one to give them to me.

"You have to promise to keep an open mind about everything I say before you make your decision." He say's, looking me seriously in the eye.

I nod, agreeing to his terms.

"No lies?" I ask suspiciously.

"No lies." He say earnestly.

"Good." I fold my arms, leaning my back against the wall. "Because I have a lot to ask." I say, sending him another dirty look. "I want to know exactly why you kept me being your mate a secret. You said I was in danger, and that my life is at risk now that I know what you are, but what does that mean?"

Nicholai looks as if he expected my question, keeping his serious gaze trained on me.

"That night I found you in the forest, the reason I said it was a mistake, was because it was. But not for the reason you thought. It was a mistake because by getting close to you and telling you what I was...what you were to me, would put you in danger. There are certain...people that are after me. They want my pack, to take over my rank as Alpha. But all their past attempts have failed." He say's.

"These people that are after you, are they like you?" I ask. "Werewolves, I mean." I correct myself.

"Yes." Nicholai say's after a moment of hesitation.

"Oh." Is all I manage to say.

Nicholai continues.

"In order to bring me down they would need to know my weakness. And until the night I saw you I never had a weakness. They were powerless against my pack, which is why they've been waiting for this day. The day I found my mate. A mate, as I explained earlier, is your wolfs soul purpose in this world. I've told you how important they are but what I didn't explain was what would happen if our mate some how was killed."

I take in his words slowly, processing each of them slowly. I keep my face blank as he speaks to me, keeping myself from letting him see my inner turmoil.

"The connection between a wolf and his or her mate is impossible to understand, so complex only our Goddess can interpret, as she was the one to create it. When a wolf marks and mates his spouse, the connection becomes more than just physical. The prickling of your skin when we make contact? That's the sexual tension between my wolf and your hormones, your bodies natural reaction to me being so close." Nicholai explains.