Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE:

       Melody stared at herself in the mirror at King’s house, though it resembled more of a castle. Her blonde hair was styled nicely in a short bob that seemed to suit her face and made her look older and fairy-like. It was Saturday night. Jez was down stairs waiting for the Chinese food they had ordered, telling her that she shouldn’t drink on an empty stomach. But Melody didn’t know if she could handle food, her stomach was already full of nervous butterflies.

She gently caressed the thing silky purple fabric that she wore. It was lovely, vintage and Jez had told her that it was made for her. Melody wouldn’t admit it at the time but she had loved the dress. He loved the triangular patterns on it that were a slightly darker purple than the actual dress. The neckline was reasonable, as was the length, coming down a little above her knees. A thin braided rope was casually strung around her waist.

A small locket rested against Melody’s chest which her father had given to her when she was younger. It was the first time she had worn it to the open eye. Melody touched the small silver locket gently; the small oval sapphire in the middle had been put there because her mother had said it matched her eyes. Her small feet were covered with gladiator heels that were surprisingly comfortable and easy to walk in, adding an extra inch or two to Melody’s height.

The door slammed open as Jez appeared her thick black hair only half curled. Red cartons were in her hands and were nearly dropped when she saw Melody. “You look so pretty!” She gushed, setting the food on the desk near the door.

Melody smiled tentatively at her, “Thank you for this, Jez.”

Jez waved her hand as if it were no big deal, “No problem. What are friends for?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t had one in a while.” Melody said quietly.

She felt warm arms wrap around her. “Well now you do.”

“Thank you Jez,” Melody whispered, her eyes tearing up.

Jez laughed, “You cry easily. It’s endearing. It also makes me want to punch mean people…”

Melody felt laughter erupt from her mouth, something that felt unnatural but lovely.

Jez was staring at her looking stunned, “You’re gorgeous when you laugh.”

A flush popped onto Melody’s cheeks, “Thanks.”

Grinning, Jez walked over to the cartons of Chinese food, “Now let’s eat some dim sum!”

Melody laughed again, “Dim Sum’s lunch, Jez.”

Jez winked at her and passed her a carton of yummy smelling food. “Its food, hush up and eat it. You’re too skinny, making me feel fat.” Jez patted her flat stomach and laughed at herself. Before she ate her own carton of food, moaning at how she wished she was Chinese. Melody giggled again and carefully ate her own carton of noodles. The tangy flavour danced on her tongue and Melody suppressed her own moan—delicious.

**

Jezebel’s car was quiet, unlike the party on the beach in front of them. There were large streams of people, some dancing and some mingling.  A large fire tipi had been erected in the middle of the Carebrook’s private beach.

As the seconds past, Melody felt less and less confident in this idea. Her palms were clammy and her face felt flushed.

“You just have to go over there. Jason and Chase are here and so am I—you’ll be fine Mel,” Jez told her, squeezing her hand comfortably, “Besides, it’s high school. We teenagers should stop caring about what others think of us. They’re idiots anyways.”