Chapter 6

Recap:

Suddenly there was a chorus of growls from the bushes. A group of wolves appeared different to the ones I had seen with Kai before. I felt hollow when Kai pushed me behind him protectively. These wolves were not friendly, not to me anyway.

-------

A string of swear words were muttered by Kai. He pushed me even further behind him a growled angrily. The wolves hesitated slightly before continuing to stalk closer to us. I was guessing not all of the pack was happy about me being his mate.

"Who sent you?" Kai shouted at them through bared teeth. The wolves looked at each other before barking at him. He sighed and gave me an apologetic look. "Run when you can," He whispered leaning close. His breath tickled my ear making me sigh happily.

"What about you?" I asked calmly, hiding the fear that was growing within me. I was irritated with myself for caring about the mutt, but, I couldn't stop myself. He grinned at me mischievously

"You're worried about me?" He asked, eyeing up the large grey wolf who stalked closer.

"No!" I answered quickly. His grin grew bigger. A bark from one of the wolves drew our attention. I could tell the wolves were hesitant to attack. They watched Kai carefully as if he would turn and rip them to sheds at any moment, which I had no doubt he could if he wanted too.

"I'll be fine, they won't hurt me. Now, go," He smiled nudging me towards the trees. I started to run as he said. Just before I left the clearing I heard a yelp. I froze and spun round ready to run back and help my mutt.

I ran to the clearing, changing in mid-run. When I entered the clearing I saw him still in human form. He had pushed one wolf to the ground, his hand around its throat. The other wolves were slowly closing in on him.

I growled loudly, attracting their attention. The Grey wolf spun towards me snarling. Then, without warning the grey wolf ran at me. He was so fast that I barely twisted out of the reach of his snapping jaws. I didn't much feel like being bitten again.

I glanced at Kai, hoping he was holding his own. He had already changed and was fighting off the other two wolfs. The grey wolf must have realised I was distracted, because he ran into me knocking me over.

Before I could get up he was on me, his teeth snapping close to my face. I kicked my back legs trying to throw him off. I released my claws and swiped at his eye. My claws dug into his eyebrow and, as he pulled away, raked downwards blinding him.

The wolf let out a deafening yelped and jumped as far away from me, and my claws, as he could. I got up, inwardly smirking when I saw the blood pouring down his face, and started to pursue him. I crouched low as I walked ready to jump on him if he ran, a cat stalking its prey.

A low howl cut through my thoughts, reminding me where I was, and that I had to help Kai. I ran towards Kai, hissing at the wolves. The wolves had already backed off, and ran back into the forest leaving us bewildered.

I changed back into my human form and looked over Kai, checking for any serious injuries. He had a nasty bite on his shoulder, but it was already healing. He changed before my eyes back into his human for and frowned at me.

"I told you to run," he grumbled. I glared at him, I had helped him and he was angry?

"I think you'll find I just saved your ass," I spat angrily. I turned away from him as I felt my eyes grow wet. How was it that I was crying because I had been scared this stupid mutt would get hurt? There had to be something wrong with me.

I felt his arms circle my waist, hugging me softly. I turned my head meeting my golden eyes. He gave me a soft kiss on the lips and smiled sadly. 

"I'm sorry," he apologised, "I was just worried about you getting hurt." I nodded understanding how he felt.

Then I was suddenly remembered we were both naked. I squeaked with embarrassment and pushed him away. He fell onto his back, his face a picture of shock. Before he had a chance to say anything I ran out of the clearing and changed onto my housecat form.

I felt guilty for just running off, but I had been so embarrassed I hadn't been thinking straight. I still couldn't believe I was starting to feel something for him. It was weird sometimes he was so gentle, yet at other times, like with the wolves, he would suddenly become aggressive and strong. He was too unpredictable, and, that made me nervous.

When I got home I climbed the tree to my room and put on some clothes, trying not to think about Kai. I froze when recognised a familiar scent, the scent of a dangerous predator.

I ran down the stairs and into the front room. I froze instantly staring at what I could only describe as most sickening scene I had ever seen in my life.

"Eve, long time, no see," A blonde haired boy smirked as he lounged on my sofa. My parents sat on the other sofa grinning at him, and doting on him as if he was their own son. The damn lion had followed me here, last time I had barely gotten away from him.

"Eve, you remember Callum don't you?" My mother questioned turning to me. I gave her a fake smile and nodded.

"Yes, how could I forget," I said through gritted teeth. My live was about to get a whole lot more difficult.

-------------------------------