Prompt #11

Prompt- I would love to read a prompt with Alexis and Micah meeting Alexis's father

------------------------------

​"Do you want grapes?" I asked Micah.

​He nodded at me. I reached out, grabbing the grapes and putting them into the basket on my arm. I reached down and held Micah's hand as we walked over to the next aisle.

​I had brought Micah shopping with me since Jonas was over at Riley's right now. I figured I'd buy us groceries and then make dinner so it'd be ready when he got home.

​I lifted Micah into my free arm. He nuzzled against my shoulder comfortably, looking at the food in the aisle.

​"Go ahead and pick out a cereal," I said. "It'll be your breakfast in the morning."

​Micah carefully eyed the cereal. "That one!" he said, pointing. "Please!"

​I reached for the box, setting it into the basket. I turned to grab cereal for me and Jonas, and froze.

​"Alexis," dad said, clearing his throat, looking uncomfortable.

​"Mr. Beirne," I said.

​"Beirne?" Micah said in confusion. He knew that was my last name. He looked between me and dad, registering our similar appearances.

​Dad stared at Micah in shock. "How...how old is he?"

​"Six," I said. I watched as dad did the mental math. I was 22. Micah was 6. That meant I was 16 when Micah was born.

​"Is he yours?" dad asked, face paling.

​"Not biologically," I said. I felt myself shutting down, retreating away into the safety of numbness. "His father abandoned him. How awful, right?"

​Dad winced. His face hardened, steeling himself against the denial of the decision to disown his son.

​"You shouldn't be raising a child," dad said.

​Micah looked afraid. He grabbed at my shirt. "Alexis," he whimpered.

​I set the basket down and hugged Micah to myself, looking at my dad with a blank stare, no emotion on my face. He had no right to tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing. He had given up that right when he gave up his son.

​"I am raising Micah," I said. "My boyfriend and I are raising him together."

​Dad's lip curled at the word boyfriend. "You're 22 and with another man. That's not the kind of environment a child should be in."

​"An environment he shouldn't be in is one where he's in a home where he's not loved," I said.

​"Alexis." Micah reached up, pressing his hand against my cheek, eyes scared. "You don't look like you!"

​I knew what he meant. I knew my withdrawal was scaring him. But I couldn't force myself out of it. I felt trapped, cornered.

​"You can't afford to raise a child!" dad said.

​"We manage," I said. I felt myself drowning faster and faster into a numb state.

​"It's wrong!" dad said.

​"Stop it!" Micah said, his voice a combination of frantic and terrified. "Stop being mean to Alexis! You're making him sad!" Micah hugged me, arms going around my neck. "Don't be sad, Alexis! You're nice to me!"

​I looked down at Micah, focusing on him, trying to forget about my father. I slowly dragged myself back, forcing a smile for Micah.

​"I'm not sad," I said. "I have nothing to be sad about."

​"Alexis-" dad started.

​"Micah and I have to get home. My boyfriend will be home soon," I said.

​I picked up the basket of our stuff and turned my back on my dad, carrying Micah out of the aisle. I made sure we were down a few aisles before stopping to hug Micah tightly. He was the reason I didn't drown in that numb state.

​"I love you Alexis," Micah said, nuzzling against me.

​"I love you too, Micah," I said.

​No, he wasn't biologically related to me. But I loved Micah and I'd do anything to raise him right and provide for him. I'd do anything to make sure he never felt threatened or unloved. And I knew Jonas would do the same. We weren't rich or experienced with raising kids, but that didn't mean we couldn't give Micah a good life. I would make sure Micah had the best life possible, feeling as loved as he possibly could.