Chapter 1

A/N: So here's Chapter 1. It's not too long but I figured short chapters for a short story right? <3

And lets face it, the sooner Dawson's happy, the sooner we're all happy. :D So please COMMENT and VOTE and FOLLOW.

It makes want to give you lovely people MORE to read.

XOXO (<--theme for this book; do you like it?)

~Kate~

I was alone.

Completely and utterly.

No, not alone. Not quite at least. I had a man who hated me. One who was supposed to love me. But what was new, right? Poor, poor Dawson. Always getting the short end of the stick.

After Colton left, so did Jessie and Atlas. Alpha Axel and the Beta Chase had taken each of aside to speak with us. I remember how nervous I was to be in the presence of such strong males... They had spoken to me in a way I wasn't used to. There was no obvious difference in rank between us. Axel's voice wasn't loud and commanding--the way it always seemed to be. He had looked tired, holding a cup of coffee in his hands. His black eyes were flat, lacking a certain luster that was once there.

Chase more...persistent. He kept repeating to me over and over again that I could leave. That Austin wouldn't be able to hurt me ever again... But I had nothing at all to go back to. And I was far too ashamed to say anything about that. Austin had been furious when Axel told him that he had given me the option to leave. I had thought me choosing to stay would have pleased him but he had been angry either way.

I was an 'ungrateful bitch' now opposed to the usual stupid one.

He got over it in within a few days and everything was back to semi-normal. It was just me now. To say I was unhappy was...untrue. Maybe dissatisfied? Not that it mattered. I was lucky to have a mate.

I paused in the scrubbing of a pot caked with burnt food--my handiwork. My face hurt from the hit but it was the pain in my bad arm that was getting to me tonight. It felt stiffer than usual. I breathed out a breath and continued to my task. Austin had stormed out of here hours ago. I knew he'd be back and when he did my true punishment would come too. A slap was far too light for ruining a meal for my mate.

I finally managed to loosen the black muck and sprayed the insides of it with hot water. I stopped again, a wet hand running over the fabric covering my arm. It was grotesque really. I hated it. It was a symbol of my shame--of my failure as a mate. I hid it whenever I could. I froze at the knock at the door. Great. Half was my face was a swelling bruise that was no doubt going to get sneers. Despite Axel Alpha's changes, opinions stayed the same. Omegas had one job: pleasing their mates. And marks on their body--especially ones meant to be seen--were the clear cut proof that they had failed their job. It was practically a form of public humiliation.

I dried my hands on the towel, moving to the door. I pulled it open to find the beta leaning there. He was wearing a loose sweater, unzipped. His chest glistened lightly with droplets of sweat. I knew he was out busting his ass trying to shut down what was once a massive operation in the so called 'New Lands'. It was coming down but slowly. "Hey-ya Dawson, Austin in?"

He peered at my face as he sneered my mate's name. My face went a bit warm. Normally I just looked away when people noticed my bruises but Chase Chandler made me blush. "No. He's uh...out."

The stench of burnt food lingered in the air, despite all the open windows. Chase could smell it--he was just too nice to mention it. "Good." he stated surprising me.