Suddenly, the Tesseract started spiking and sending off a dangerous amount of gamma rays. I paused the game and slid my phone into my pocket as I heard an announcement for everyone to evacuate the base. My arms and legs shook a bit as my anxiety attack threatened to burst out.

"You'll right Case?" Clint asked glancing at me for a bit.

"I think so," I nodded, "Something spells both 'danger' and 'trouble' at the same time."

"I believe you."

"Talk to me Doctor," Fury called as he arrived in the underground lab, in his usual black trench leather jacket like Morpheus from The Matrix trilogy, but with the eye patch.

"Director," Selvig nodded looking up from what he had been doing.

"Is there anything we know for certain?" Fury glanced and inspected the lab.

"The Tesseract is misbehaving," Selvig approached him.

Fury had a straight face as usual. "Is that supposed to be funny?"

"No, it's not funny at all. The Tesseract is not only active...she's behaving,"

"Did you pull the plug?" Fury asked as he and Selvig went around the lab, examining the equipment.

"She's an energy source. We turn off the power; she will turn it back on. If she reaches peak level-" Selvig shook his head as he made his way to the other side of the lab.

"We prepared for this Doctor. Harnessing energy from space," Fury said cutting him off.

I found it kind of funny when Selvig referred to the Tesseract as she. Plus, I had no idea that Fury had been planning to control such a huge amount of momentum from the deep ends of space.

"But we don't have the harness. My calculations are far from complete. And she's throwing off interference, radiation. Nothing harmful, low levels of gamma radiation," Selvig looked back at Fury.

Fury then looked around the lab. "That can be harmful. Where are Agents Barton and Armstrong?"

"The Hawk and Sparrow? Up in their nest as usual," Selvig replied.

"Agents Barton and Armstrong, report," Fury spoke through the earcom. 

Clint and I slid down from the rafters. He went ahead while I followed suit.

"I gave you this detail so you could keep a close eye on things," Fury said after Clint and I landed on the ground without making any noise.

"Well, I see better from a distance," Clint replied.

"Better than being too close," I muttered as I crossed my arms.

"Doctor, it's spiking again!" one of the scientists called out to Selvig.

"No one's come or gone. And Selvig's clean. No contacts, no IMs. If there was any tampering, sir, it wasn't at this end," Clint explained.

"At this end?" Fury asked blinking an eye.

"Yeah, the cube is a doorway to the other end of space, right?"