Eight: In Which She Actually Has A Heart And She Shows It

Start from the beginning

And something tells me that is not going to end well.

"Oh fuck," I swear.

What have I gotten myself into?

☸☸☸☸☸☸

I had to sign a contract.

I don't think I've ever done that in a very long time.

I sort of just glazed over the words. I can't help it-after three full hours of discussion with Baxton and his team, I'm too exhausted to read the damn thing properly. But fortunately, Baxton already told me what was in the contract so I just nod, flip to the last page of that ten-paged contract and scribble my signature on it.

Jax was there the entire time, his gaze burning holes in me. Often, I take a couple of peeks to see how he's holding up. I'm not sure if he likes this arrangement. I know that me being his bodyguard is a huge blow for his ego, so he's probably really unhappy about it. But maybe, a little part of him is looking forward to taunting and hurting me now that it seems I'm going to have to spend almost every waking moment with him.

As if sharing a place with him isn't enough.

A small laugh escapes me. Me? A bodyguard? It's hilarious. It's completely absurd. I could barely protect myself from that officer last night and I'm supposed to protect Jax? Fuck me but Jax? The guy who plays a tug of war with my emotions. One minute I loathe him and the next I don't. He's a master manipulator and he confuses the heck out of me.

I don't even understand him. How am I supposed to protect him?

Does he even need anyone to protect him?

He's more skillful than me. He's a trained fighter for many years now. I got nothing on him. So I have no idea why Baxton would hire a bodyguard—let alone me—to protect Jax. Jax can handle himself all too well, way better than I can handle myself.

Today has been so... weird.

Thankfully, following Jax around like a lost puppy around the house isn't exactly mandatory and seeing as how he doesn't intend to go out today, I'm allowed to roam free. I don't even hesitate to grab my bag and head out the door, not even bothering to bid anyone goodbye. I'm already late to pick Eden up and I will never forgive myself for reducing what little time with him.

I grab my skateboard and ride that sucker to the nearest bus station. It takes me approximately eight minutes for the bus to reach my destination and another two minutes to sprint over to the Adams's household. I ditch my skateboard halfway through, realizing that my legs may give me a better advantage in getting me there. When I reach the front door, I'm completely out of breath. I use what little energy I have to ring the doorbell.

"Coming!" I hear Eden's voice and it definitely lifts my spirits. I gasp for another lungful of air and straighten up, an eager smile creeping on my face. When the door opens and I see him, I immediately launch myself at him, throwing my arms around his small body.

"Gahhh! Blaire!" He groans, squirming against me, but I only hug him tighter. He's pretending he doesn't like my hugs, but I know deep down, he does like it a lot. "You're all sweaty and stuff!"

"Sorry, Eden," I finally release him and pinch his nose. "I just missed you. I'm sorry I was late but I-"

"How many times do I have to tell you not to open the door to strangers, Eden?" Another voice sounds, a hard and sharp one, and I wince.

Mrs. Adams materializes from behind Eden, a stern look crossing her face. She walks with poise and sophistication, two things that I'm clearly lacking, her heels softly clicking against the hardwood floor. I force myself to look at her with a forced smile. I may hate this bitch's guts but is being nice to her is what it takes to get more time with Eden until I can sort out the shit with a lawyer, then I'm all game.