x

Chris drives into the back area of the school where the kids could be picked up. There sat Sadie on the curb, her elbows on her knees and her hands on either side of her face, looking bored. Her bright, red curls flew about in the breeze, and her blue eyes looked off in the distance. They then land on Chris' car, and her freckled cheeks curl up in a smile. Sadie wore a green T-shirt with a butterfly on it, blue jeans, and light-up sneakers. She also had a New Years Day backpack that Chris had gotten her. She was the last of the kids here, looking extremely happy to finally be leaving.

The aide that was standing there with Sadie looked a bit hesitant at the sight of Chris

Chris rolls down the window and smiles, "Hop in, kiddo."

"And you are?" The aide asks.

"It's okay, my mom said it's okay for him to come get me." Sadie tells her.

"Are you sure?" The aide ask, with a raised eyebrow.

Chris raises his sunglasses and sets them on top of his head, "Call Melanie and ask. Tell her that Chris Cerulli is picking up her kid and she'll probably just be relieved. If you can get her to pick up the phone, that is."

"Ah, we were informed of this when Melanie and her husband separated. You're Chris Cerulli?"

"Do I need to prove it to you?"

"No, I suppose that won't be necessary." The aide deadpans.

Chris shakes his head to himself. Every damn time. There was always a different teacher or aide whenever Chris came to get Sadie, and every one of them thought he was a freak.

"Hop in, Sadie."

Sadie gets in the front passenger seat, sets her backpack on the floor in front of her and buckles herself in. Chris then drives off.

"Gettin' real tired of all your teachers thinking I'm a pedophile or something." Chris mutters.

"A what?"

"Nothing." Chris says.

Sadie pulls out her phone.

"What are you doing?" Chris asks.

"Texting Mom to tell her I'm with you."

"I still cannot believe your mother gave you a phone. You're seven."

"It's not even a real phone. It's Mom's old flip-phone. I can't even play games or get Internet. All I can do is text and call people and my only contacts are Mom, Dad, and you."

"That makes it a little better, I guess."

Sadie puts her phone away.

"Do you have any homework?"

"Just spelling." Sadie says before gasping, "Ooh, guess what?! I made it all the way across the monkey bars at recess today!"

Chris smiles, "Wow, you've been working on that one for a while now."