35. When Things Couldn't Possibly Get Worse...

Beginne am Anfang

As I booked a hotel room, I thanked the receptionist as she gave me my room key.

On my way to my room, I accidentally bumped into someone.

"My apologies--"

"I'm so sorry--"

I stared at the woman, frozen to my spot.

"Chase, is that you?"

"Valerie." I muttered, gripping my room key tighter than ever.

She gave me a head-to-toe eye exam, "You've grown so much."

"And you're wearing clothes."

A hurt look flashed on her face before she covered it up, "Can we talk over coffee? There's a great coffee shop near the hotel."

I wanted to say no, so so badly...but she's family...my aunt.

"Give me a few minutes to settle my bag."

Valerie flashed me a relieved look, "Of course...thank you."

Valerie and I thanked the waitress who served us but silence still stretched between us.

I took a sip of my coffee and spoke, bitterness seeping out, "I've had an awful day and I'm sure you have men to please. Did you want to say something to me, Auntie?"

Valerie gave me a pained look, the same one Alice wore. I looked away, feeling a bit guilty.

"I must apologize for all the lewd looks I gave you in the past. I never wanted to drive you away, after all, I am your aunt. I may not be the best aunt in the world---for goodness sake, I was a prostitute. Yes, past tense."

I gave her a mere impassive look as I sipped my drink.

She placed a hand on her chest, "Really Chase, I've changed."

I said nothing as I took another sip and stared at her.

She squirmed, "One night, a man paid a hefty load for me. I didn't think much of it, just thought of him as a rich admirer." She let out a chuckle, "Best sex I've ever had."

I sputtered out the sip I had in my mouth and wiped myself with a tissue, immediately. "Valerie!"

"Sorry, sorry. Sometimes I forget that you're my nephew, after all, we're only four years apart." I shook my head and she continued. "His name is Henry." She paused and I saw the lovesick look in her eyes and grimaced as I thought of Alice.

She chuckled, "For the following nights, he kept buying my nights. He always told me that I should leave the business and join him, that he'd take care of me. At first, I didn't really care. He was just a mere customer to me, someone to pay my bills. No, no, I didn't lead him on! I kept refusing him because I didn't return his feelings.

"One night, as I was going home, I was...attacked. In short, Henry saved me. He told me that he's been watching me for a while and many would find that creepy, but I found it romantic. I invited him in my home and that was the night I realized that I took him for granted. I stopped my prostitution business and now..." Valerie stared down at her hand, where this huge rock sat on her ring finger. She smiled at me, "We're getting married next year."

I drained my coffee cup, "I'm glad you don't whore yourself around anymore, funny you didn't cuss once in your story. But, why were you at the hotel?" I glared down at her, not trusting her fully.

Valerie blinked before laughing, "Chase, I'm not cheating on Henry!" She playfully slapped my shoulder and continued laughing. When she calmed down, she handed me a card. "The hotel you're booked in his my fiancé's. I'm his personal assistant. It was very hard at first, you know with my school grades and knowledge, but through all the training Henry out me through and all the books I've studied, it's a job that I look forward to now."

I stared at her impassively before finally giving her a smile, "Well, I'm happy for you."

She smiled back and reached for my hand, "Chase, I would still like to work on our aunt-nephew relationship. If you would please allow me."

I stood up, "It's getting late. I should go."

Valerie looked broken-hearted and I sighed, "How about we go shopping this week?"

The smile on her face put my heart at ease. "Yes, yes! It'll be a perfect way to bond!"

As I almost stepped out the door, I smiled at her, "Congratulations...Aunt Valerie."

She gasped before smiling at me, "Thank you Chase."

I nodded, leaving my aunt to stare lovingly to her ring.

A sight I wanted for Alice and me.