Making friends

I pulled my hair into a ponytail as I left the locker room. Laura and Claire were waiting for me outside in their leotards and tights, with dance shoes in hand. This was the fourth time they had waited for me here to try and convince me to join the dance class.

  "No."  I said before they could say anything. Claire sighed, like she was giving up, but Laura stood her ground.

  "Why not?" She order. "The classes are close to free, Madam Shea is a great teacher, and it's fun." She crossed her arms. "Plus your new, you need the classes to make friends."

  "Laura, I can make friends without dance classes."  I said. "And I've had plenty of great teachers."  I stepped into the gym, leaving them behind me.

  We were playing volleyball in gym. I stood in the back in one of the corners, trying to avoid the ball. The guy's gym class was using the other half of the gym for running laps and basketball drills. My team scored and we shifted positions. I was now in front. I sighed and stood like the other girls, my knees barely bent, bouncing back and forth on the balls of my feet. The girl serving, Jenny, hit it high, almost gaining another point but the other time caught it. A red head named Kristie hit it towards me. Maria, beside me, hit the ball up. I jumped to spike it and hit the ball. It hit the ground, giving us the point, then bounced off rolling to the other side of the gym.

  "Smith, get the ball." Coach Davids called to me. I chased after it but someone else was already holding it in their hands. A tall guy with blond hair styled to stand up in the front. He smiled as he handed the ball back to me.

  "Thanks."  I said.

  "You're new aren't you?"  He asked.

  "Yeah."  I said.  "I'm Amber."

  "Brendon."  He said holding out his hand.  I shook it and took the ball.  I turned to walk away but he kept talking.  "Hey, I was wondering if-"

  "Capps, back to drills." The male coach I didn't know called. "You can flirt with the girls after class."

  Brendon sighed. "Can I talk to you after class."  He asked.

  "Guess so." I said heading back to my game.

  "Come on, Coach."  I heard him say when I was halfway back. When I was back I realized my point had been taken away because the ball had hit out of bounds. My team didn't let the ball come near me for the rest of the game.

  After gym, I stayed in the locker room a few minutes longer than normal, look at a place on my shoulder where one of my team mates 'accidentally' hit me with their elbow. It was in the beginning phases of a bruise. I fixed my shirt in place and, grumbling to myself, marched from the locker room with my bag over my other shoulder.

  "Hey." Someone said behind me. I was outside now heading for the parking lot where Holden was suppose to be. "I thought you were never going to come out."

  "Hey Brendon." I turned to face him. "Sorry, I was looking at a future bruise." I said.

  "Yeah, I saw Sadie hit you. How's it look?"  He asked.

  "It's going to be pretty bad." I said pulling my bag further up my shoulder.

  "Yeah, she can be pretty competitive." He said. "Listen, what I was trying to say in there earlier. I was wondering if you'd want to see a movie some time?"

  "I don't know." I said, shifting my weight away from him. "I have a lot to catch up on in class."  I looked over my shoulder towards the cars.

  "Come on, it'll be fun." He said, putting his hands in his pockets as he talked. "Look, if you're worried about being alone, we can get a group together and go." I thought for a minute.