at some point i lost calum while studying a work of art. i looked around frantically for my tall australian but i ran into another boy, instead.

"sorry. i was just looking at this painting and didn't see you," he chuckled.

"oh, that's okay. it's a really cool piece," i agreed.

"i think it's one of the best here but it's so unappreciated. this place is full of unappreciative people today. like that guy over there. he's just been wandering around on his phone," the man pointed over the where an overly confused calum was stumbling.

"that wandering loser is my boyfriend. thanks for pointing him out," i grinned.

i rushed over to calum who was pouting at a sculpture. i wrapped my arms around his waist tightly as i nuzzled my head into his chest.

"what's wrong, baby?" i mumbled.

"i don't get it," he sighed sadly.

"you aren't supposed to get it," i giggled.

"but you probably have some profound thought about what it means or what it represents. to me it's just a misshapen blob thing."

"that's 'cause it is a misshapen blob thing. don't read into things too much."

"aren't sculptures supposed to mean something, though?"

"well, sometimes. you don't have to know what they mean, though. sometimes it's nice to just see it for how it is instead of making some complex story about what it means."

"i just don't get art," he sighed heavily.

"that's the thing; you aren't supposed to. it's basically made up of abstract concepts that you don't have to understand. if you do, great. if you don't, awesome. it's like with songs, you know? the lyrics say one thing but there's a reason you wrote the song behind the words. outside people won't know that unless they care to dissect the lyrics or research the meaning."

"you make everything sound so pretty," he gushed, "you're so pretty."

"'m'also so cold," i murmured as i got closer to him. i knew he wasn't one to just hand his jacket over to me every time i wanted it so i just let him engulf me in his warmth. he swayed our bodies gently as i took in his scent and the warmth encasing us.

"we should probably continue."

"shh," i hushed him, "few more seconds."

calum complied by hugging me tighter and pressing me even closer. he even snuck in a few kisses until i was satisfied and ready to continue.

✧ ☾✧

i sat across from calum with my feet balanced on his thighs as he tried to throw grapes into my mouth. after the museum we walked around until we found somewhere to eat.

"isn't christmas in, like, a week?" calum asked while letting a grape bounce off of my nose.

"it is," i confirmed.

"what are we gonna do for christmas?"

"i always spend christmas eve, christmas, and then the day after with my parents so i won't be available around christmas."

"i think i have to spend christmas with the boys and talking with my own family. we could, um, we could celebrate it together but just a couple days after," he suggested nervously.

"yeah, sure," i shrugged, "we need to spend as much time together as possible."

"great! what about new years?"