Chapter 8

"For the last time Rhys-" I demanded, breaking off and cursing as I stumbled against a rock I couldn't see. "Where in the god's name are we going?"

Rhysand didn't answer, but I could feel his amusement like a thin skin beneath my own.

It itched.

I scowled against the blackness of my vision, before catching myself on another rock and almost falling over. A hand reached to steady me, and I brushed it off, now cussing a blue streak. This time, Rhysand chuckled. I ignored the feeling of it sliding beneath my bones, and instead reminisced about when the lesson had been going well.

Well, I guess the only time it had been going well was when Rhysand had arrived right on time. After that, everything began to go downhill. First, he proceeded to blindfold me with shadows, and then he had dragged me by the arm through what felt like a labryinth. Now, I could tell by the whisperings and hum of insects that we were outside. The fresh air was like an opium, and I was gulping it in, the sharp taste of pollen burning my throat.

These pleasant aspects were slightly degraded however, by all of the things I didn't know. This included-but was not limited to-where the hell I was, where the hell I was going, and what the hell Rhysand thought this was achieving.

Unless it was a very pissed off Feyre. Then he was doing a pretty good job.

I was seriously considering just stopping and letting him drag me the rest of the way, when he came to an abrupt halt and I ran into his back. I let out an oomph.

Then I was blinking in the sudden light. Once my eyes adjusted, I realized I was right; we were outside. I saw as much as the leafy trees that were surrounding me, before Rhysand's face was in front of mine and crowding my vision. I scowled at him and crossed my arms, refusing to be the first one to move away from the close proximity.

His own expression was similar. He was looking very annoyed, which is saying something when Rhysand's usual expression is something alike to bland. I continued looking at him, waiting for him to tell me his great reason for dragging me out to the middle of nowhere.

"You suck." He finally stated bluntly. I took a step back, shocked, then cursed myself internally. So much for not backing up.

"Suck? At what?" I sputtered, my ears growing red with anger.

"At everything! I cannot tell you how many times you ran into a rock, or me. Seriously Feyre, have you never used your senses for anything? I was trying not to expect much, but this is even worse than I thought."

I scoffed, taking a step forward and poking him in the chest with my index finger.

"Now listen, Mr. Oh-High-And-Mighty, I told you I have no experience, that I didn't know what I was doing. We struck a bargain, and that said lessons, not dragging me out into the middle of nowhere to tell me what I already know!" Rhysand opened his mouth to speak, but now I was seeing red.

"If this," finger stab, "is how you are," finger stab, "going to treat me," multiple finger stabbings, "then forget about it! Go find someone else to a amuse yourself with!" I stood there panting, glaring at him. He looked at me for long moments, his eyes becoming dangerously dark, before abruptly shrugging. He brushed past me, throwing me off guard, and I turned to see where he was going now.

"That's it?" I demanded, now following him despite my annoyance. I didn't want to become more lost than I already was. "A shrug? No apology?"

"Feyre."

Well that was easy. I stopped, waiting expectantly.

"I'm not sorry. That was your first lesson. And you basically failed." I went to open my mouth but he held up a hand, halting me. "Now at least I know where you're at. Perhaps the way I phrased your lack of success was... insensitive. But now, let's begin. There really isn't time to waste."