Chapter 22-"Battle on my brother"

Whilst warped in his embrace I couldn't help imagine what it would be like to belong there. But the idea left me disappointed. His arms retreated from around my body. I almost couldn't contain my whimper.

"I've to go, get back in to the bed." He had said to me before he got up to leave, but in our embrace he had curled me into him the curve of my back souldered to him. I was now left with out my suppot and I felt as if I could flop to the floor. Sven wasn't walking away like I'd thought he would. He gestured to me, pointing to the the pillow. I steadily moved the blanket. He was quiet for the moment. Sliding my legs back in under the covers Sven began to pull up the blanket.

"Thank you" I whispered, I hoped he wouldn't be angry with me once he returned, but my wish would be short Lived. He nodded but in that moment he was called by the young man and with a raised eyebrow, departed. I found myself hoping for him to look back, chanting 'look back' in  my mind.  Why does it end up like this?

He passed the bed room door and kept walking, as he reached the door I noticed a change in his walk, more powerful and attention grabbing. Slinging his cloak over his shoulders he hesitating at the door and then he headed out. The house was silent and I could hear them speaking outside, they had waited for him. Would they think I'm a horrible person? I flipped back the covers and slid my feet to the ground. I reached the bed post when the door burst open. I gasped in shock and stumbled back. The explosion of light had me shielding my eyes. Storming across the room was the hulking figure of Sven. He stopped right in front of me. I didn't get to see his face before he slid a hand around the back of my neck and pressed his lips to mine. My breath was caught in the back of my throat, I hadn't an idea where this came from but the sensation was pleasurable. There was a sort of urgency there, I could feel a quickness but his kiss wasn't frantic.  He was the one to pull away, those few seconds had felt like a life time, I had half expected to push him away but I couldn't. He looked at me as I was trying to regulate my breathing and failing miserably.
"Don't ever do that to me again" Sven hushed. I shook my head trying to convince him. He nodded and turned, and then stopes expectantly.

"Hurry up, the meeting will begin soon" I stumbled from the bed. He looked my figure up and down, my face heating up a little with embarrassment. But then I exhale, it's nothing, I'm sure, that he hasn't seen before. He picks up my dress and hands it to me. He eyes lingering on my face. I gesture for him to turn around and he does, I hastily throw the cloth over my body and slip on my shoes. I clear my throat. I'm a little broken in my movement, stiff as if I'd stood out in the frozen gale winds. But Sven acts as if noting happened... Again. His lack of communication astounds me every time. How can he lead people if they have to guess what he means. We stand outside the door for a few moments and both men that we join looked puzzled at me. Sven explains, using a false motive to cover my ordeal. This shows that he hasn't told anybody of my problem and I'm grateful of that. I don't want anybody to know unless they have to. It's embarrassing and I feel as if I've been marked with a black 'X' . There is a constant presence of demanding retribution that lives in the pit of my stomach and pokes at my heart.  It grows with my anger.

The hall is packed, I wasn't here as a servant but I didn't feel like a free woman. I wasn't being pushed around or demanded anything of, the hall quietened at the sight of, Sven, his Royal majesty followed by the seer. The seer's cloak billowing out as he walked. I was receiving looks of distain. My life is here now, I've begun to think less of Ireland, my origin, but this is my home, although it resists me.

"Warriors! We had gathered to feast in the pride of our earl!" Sven roars as he stopped at the foot of the throne. Cheers erupt. Chat and music rest at its drone. The earl quickly rises from his seat, in a stiff stride walks toward the seer. He whispers something into his ear and when the seer responds Sven's father seems unhappy. His eyes dart my way and I slink in behind the first few people of the crowd out of sight.