Chapter 1

The gravelly voice of Bruce Springsteen singing about Santa Claus coming to town issued from the jukebox in the corner of the diner. Multicolored twinkling lights covered the long bar near the back, coloring the glasses of beer and drinks that set on it. Lights also surrounded the front door of the diner and outlined the swinging service doors in the back. The tree that set at the end of the bar was seven feet of old fashioned, symmetrical live White Spruce. The changing colors of the dancing lights reflected in the shiny balls and tinsel that hung from its full branches. A silver Star tree topper gave the tree a finished look. Patrons sat scattered between the tables and the bar, eating or nursing drinks as they chatted. Rudy's Diner was the only place to gather in the small, but bustling town of Mistletoe, Alaska.

Bruce's voice faded away, to be replaced by Elvis Presley, lamenting about having a blue Christmas. The diner's door opened as two tall, muscled men walked in, stopping inside the door. They could have passed for brothers. Dressed for the cold, dry polar climate in insulated pants, down parka with a fur trimmed hood, boots, and gloves. Two sets of brown eyes scanned the room, stopping a moment to give the tall, buxom blond waitress an appreciative once over. Her tight jeans and t-shirt showed off all her ample curves. Turning, as if feeling their gazes on her, she grinned at them.

"Hey guys, take a seat anywhere." She waved them toward the open dining area. "Be with ya in a minute." Both men watched as Kandy disappeared through the swinging doors. Turning, they shrugged out of their parkas, hanging them on the large peg board next to the door.

Jamie looked up at the clock over the doors that lead into the dining room. So tried that she had to squint she saw it read 7:30 PM. Two more hours, she sighed to herself. Two hours that was going to seem like twelve. She knew that from experience. All she wanted to do was go home, roll into bed, and sleep for days. She hadn't been sleeping well the last few weeks. A sense that something...she wasn't sure what...was going to happen? Closing her eyes, she could almost feel the coolness of her sheets as she imagined herself sliding between them. A bump from behind brought her back to the club's staff area.

"Hey Jamie, you OK?" Kandy, Jamie's best friend and a co-worker asked. "Sorry about the bump girlfriend, but Rudy is yelling for you."

"Yeah I'm fine, just tried." Jamie gave Kandy a small smile as she turned toward the kitchen in the back. Stopping, she turned around, looking at Kandy. "I have this feeling that something is going to happen."

"Happen?" Kandy asked. She had known Jamie since they were freshman roommates at the University of Oregon. She knew if Jamie had one of her "feelings" that something was going to happen, it would.

"Yeah," Jamie said, "I haven't been sleeping. The feeling has been getting stronger each day. It's going to be soon." She shook her head, trying to dispel the feeling.

Kandy's eyes grew wide, "How soon? Tonight?" She glanced toward the kitchen where Rudy bellowed for Jamie again. Jamie never could pin any time frame down for her "feelings". She just had them.

"I don't know Kandy," Jamie answered, walking to the pickup counter between the serving area and the kitchen where three steaming plates set.

"JAMIE...ORDER UP!" Rudy, the temperamental cook and owner of Rudy's Diner, yelled from the kitchen. "TABLE SIX!"

"Rudy, I'm right here." Jamie pointed out, "You can stop yelling." Rudy just grinned at her. He only had one volume when he was in the kitchen, and that was LOUD. He yelled everything.

Grabbing a round tray, she moved the three plates to it, add some condiments, and then picked it up and turned to head out to table six. She backed through the door with the ease of long practice, turning and heading for the waiting table. A shiver of anticipation raced through her body as she walked to the table.

The two men settled in at a large table off to one side of the room, with four chairs down each side and one at the head of the table. Pulling out chairs, they sat down, each grabbing a menu from stack setting there. As they looked over the menus, Bing Crosby issued from the jukebox, wishing everyone a Mele Kalimaka. It was a catchy tune, and before the song was over, both men were humming it. A sigh drew their attention to Kandy, who now stood next to the table.

"God...I'll have the blasted song stuck in my head for the rest of my shift!" she groaned, rolling her eyes at the two men's musical talents. "Dash, Randy." She nodded from one male to the other. "What'll it be?"

"Hey there Kandy." Randy tossed his menu down, a dimple showing as he grinned. "I'll start with Alaskan Winter Ale."

"Same thing for me," Dash muttered, still looking at the menu. "And an order of Spicy Fried Zucchini."

Dash grimaced. "Randy you do remember what that did to you last time you had it?" He looked at Kandy, "Gave him gas for a week. No one wanted to get near him."

Laughing outright, Kandy's large breasts jiggled under her tight t-shirt. Both men stared, mesmerized by the sight. A large hand reached out, slapping the back of Dash's head. "HEY!" he protested, rubbing the spot and looking up at the large, glaring man who had strode up to the table. "What the hell Danny?"

Danny set down with a scowl that didn't quite reach his eyes. "Dude...you know Rudy will smack you into tomorrow if he catches you looking at Kandy that way."

"Not likely, Danny." Kandy snorted, "Then I'd be doing some smacking of my own. Where's the rest of the crew?" she asked the newcomer.

Danny nodded his head behind her, toward the door. Kandy half turned as the door blew open as four tall men walked in, followed by a willowy auburn-haired woman. The men were jostling each other, laughing. The woman walked slowly behind them, acting as if she didn't know them. Anyone could see that she was a part of the group despite the distance she lagged behind. All five made their way to the table where the Dash, Randy, and Danny were. Kandy greeted each of them by name as they pulled chairs out and sat down.

"Hi Donny, Com, Blitz, Cue." The men nodded, and a chorus of hellos echoed around the table. Kandy looked at the lone woman at the table. "Hi Vicky," she smiled, "Things going OK?" Kandy knew that Vicky was coming off a broken relationship. Being surrounded by men could be a pain at a time like this.

"Things are...improving," Vicky replied. She left it at that. She tended to keep her feelings close to her chest. With all male co-workers, it was better that way. Kandy nodded in understanding.

"OK boys..." she had to raise her voice to be heard over the calliope of male voices, "You guys need some time before you order?" She pointed to Randy and Dash, "I have two Alaskan Winter Ales and an order of Spicy Fried Zucchini." At the mention of the fried zucchini, everyone at the table except Randy groaned. Randy just grinned.

"Alaskan Winter Ale all around Kandy," Cue spoke for the table. "Nachos, Stuffed Mushroom Caps, and a couple of orders of Cheesy Garlic Bread." Looking around the table, he saw everyone nod in agreement. Kandy nodded as she turned back toward the kitchen. As she walked away, seven pairs of eyes followed her tight, swaying ass. Vicky watched her table mates and then rolled her eyes.

MEN! She thought then chuckled softly as Nat King Cole's voice filled the room, singing about chestnuts roasting on an open fire. Oh yeah, she knew of seven pairs of nuts that needed roasting.