Chapter 5

A few minutes later the pair stood at Jamie's front door. She looked over her shoulder as she inserted her key in the lock. One of Chris's eyebrows rose in question at the lock.

"I know, why lock it?" Jamie turned the key. "I know there's no need to lock it here." She explained to Chris, opening the door "Habit I guess, left over from Portland." Jamie walked into the studio apartment she rented from Kandy and Rudy. They would have let her live there for nothing, but Jamie's pride wouldn't allow that. Chris walked in after her, closing the door behind him. He didn't bother to lock it; there wasn't any crime to speak of in Mistletoe. Chris watched Jamie shed her gloves, scarf, and coat as he shrugged out of his outer layers.

"Well..." she said looking at him, "This is home sweet home." She walked toward him reaching for his coat. She tossed it over her arm, where she carried her own. "Make yourself at home." She said as she disappeared behind the frosted room divider. Chris looked around at the room. It was a basic square shape, the front door opening into what was a cozy living room. A small heater stood a few feet inside the door. Straight though the living room was the small kitchen, with a two burner propane stove top, a small refrigerator, sink, and a surprisingly good number of cabinets. To the left was what passed for a bedroom, separated from the main living area by the room divider. Next to that was a walled off area. Bathroom and closet, Chris mused. Not a bad setup.

Chris watched as Jamie came back around the divider, still dressed in the tight jeans and t-shirt she has worn to work. She'd taken her boots off, on her feet now a pair of fluffy slippers.

"Are you going to set down?" She gestured to the plump sofa sitting in front of the divider. "I don't much in the way of drinks." She headed to the small kitchen, "Um...water, milk, a few beers-" She stopped her rambling when Chris took her hand.

"I'm fine Jamie," he said, "let's just sit down and talk, OK?"

"OK," she said. Taking a deep breath, she let Chris lead her to the sofa. He dropped down in one corner, pulling her down with him. He tucked her into the crook of his arm and rested his chin on the top of her head. They sat like, content, for a while. At last, Chris broke the silence.

"Tell me about Jamie Winters?" It wasn't a demand; it was a question. He was asking for her story. Jamie stayed quiet. Do I want to do this? She asked herself. Her head was flashing huge caution sign, but her heart was whispering that she could trust this man. It told her Chris was someone special. Her heart warmed and skipped a beat every time Chris touched her. But did she believe in love at first sight? She'd been wrong in her last choose of man and had vowed never to open her heart again.

"There's not a lot to tell," she said, having decided to trust him, at least with who she was. "I was born in Portland, Oregon. I went to college in Eugene. That's where Kandy I met, she was my roommate." She paused a smile on her face, a quiet chuckle breaking free.

"Hey!" Chris said. "Care to share what's so funny?" He had slipped one hand under her t-shirt and was making small circles on her stomach. Jamie's breath hitched in her throat. The heat from his hand on her bare skin slid down to her core.

"I can't think straight when you do that," Jamie explained putting her hand over his and holding it against her. Now Chris chuckled.

"And that's a bad thing?" He whispered into her ear.

"Mmmm..." Jamie closed her eyes for a moment, enjoying the feel of Chris's arms around her, his hand on her, his breath tickling her ear. Opening her eyes, she chuckled, "No, not a bad thing, but I thought we were going to talk. Get to know something about each other?" She made the last part a question. If he just wanted a hookup, he was out of there.

Chris sighed, "Yep. I want to know all about you sweet Jamie." Then he nipped her ear.

"CHRIS!!"

"Ok...ok. I'll be good." He promised. "For now." He added under his breath,

Jamie laughed, digging her elbow gently into his abs. "I heard that."

"So what was so funny?" He asked, getting them back on track.

"Kandy and I as roommates," Jamie answered. "I'm sure you've noticed that Kandy's not overly shy. She's like a ray of sunshine, wrapped up in a whirlwind." She felt his chest rumble on a chuckle.

"Yeah, I noticed." He said, "She keeps Rudy on his toes."

"Then picture her stuck with a quiet, mousy bookworm for a roommate." Jamie shook her head. "We were opposites. Truthfully, she scared the shit out of me. But we made it work for the four years we were there. We rubbed off on each other; I became more outgoing, and Kandy was a bit less...outgoing. In the end, we became like sisters."

"You were mousy?" Chris asked. "It can't picture you that way. You're a vibrant, beautiful woman Jamie." He tightened his arms around her in a hug. "And your life before college?"

She smiled. "I had such a normal life when I was younger. Daddy and Mama had a small farm just west of Portland. My brother Jake and I helped out around the place. Well...Jackson did. I was a dreamer, always off someplace imagining grand adventures. Or in the barn, with the few animals we had. A few cows, chickens for eggs, Penny our dog, and three cats."

"An animal lover," Chris said with approval. Jamie nodded.

"Yeah, I took the preparatory program in Veterinary Medicine at school. I wanted to be a vet." She said in a wistful voice.

"And you're not?" He asked.

"No. I ended up getting an Associate of Applied Science Degree at a local Community College as a veterinary technician." There was a note of pride in her voice.

"Why didn't you go on to be a vet?" Chris was slowly and gently drawing Jamie out.