Prologue

"Brooklynn, Get your ass up!"

My eyes shot open at the sound of my mom's voice. I buried my head deeper into the pillow, hiding from the sunlight poking through the curtains.

"Brooklynn!!"

"I'm up!!" I yelled back.

Hi, I'm Brooklynn, I'm seventeen years old. My full name is Brooklynn Grace Martinez. My friends call me Brookie. I live in New York, Brooklyn to be exact; hence the name. My mom? Well she's an alcoholic, and kind of abusive. she says she only beats me 'when I deserve it.' So, after she done with her fit, I usually sneak out. As for my dad, I don't know who he is. All my mom told me was, when she got pregnant, she left him. She claimed he was 'too busy with his job to raise a kid.' I just think she didn't want me around him, or him around me.

I've ran into some trouble with the cops. And let me tell you, New York cops are not friendly. Speaking from experience. I've landed myself in jail a couple times.

I stumbled into the bathroom and started the shower, hoping that it would help soothe the hangover left from last night's adventures.

I quickly showered then got dressed. Thank god it was a Saturday. If I had to go to school some people would die today.

"Brooklynn!" my mom yelled coming into my bedroom of our two-bedroom apartment.

"WHAT MOM!!"

"Don't raise your voice at me!"

"Fine, I'm sorry. What do you want?"

"Look, I'm going to have to send you to live with your dad, Daniel, for a bit."

"What?! why?! I don't want to see him."

"The cops and CYS have been sniffing around here a bit after my last encounter with the cops. Do you want them to take you from me and shove you in foster care?"

"No....Wait?! is that who you've been talking to on the phone for the past week? My dad?"

"Yes. He's agreed to meet you at the airport in Texas and-"

"TEXAS!! you're sending me across the country, to some man I've never met?"

"Yes Texas, Port Lavaca. That's where he lives. and He's your dad, he won't hurt you."

"How can you be sure? You haven't seen or spoken to him in years! Besides, he already has."

"When? please inform me Brooklynn."

"When he didn't come after you." I said and slammed my bedroom door in her face.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic!" She yelled through the cheap wooden door.

How can she just drop this on me like some atomic bomb? Can she even send me away? Don't I have a choice now, if I want to see him? What if he's awful? Or what if he married some stuck-up woman? Or has other kids?

I can't believe this is happening.

Swallowing my pride, I opened the door and stepped into the hallway. I needed answers and the only way I was going to get them was to ask my mother.

"I need you to explain everything to me about this. I understand why, but I'm just confused" I said as I walked into the kitchen.

"I got caught dealing again for Raf." She avoided looking at me, knowing she would see disgust and disappointment on my face. "I ran away but I'm positive the cop saw my face so I'm sure they'll be coming around any day now. Raf isn't happy, he threatened to come after you, if I don't clear this up."

"Mom, I thought you and Raf were done."

"We were, but then he called, and we really needed the money."

"So, you got caught and now you're sending me away?"

"Yes, just until I fix things."

"And where does, what's his name, Daniel? Come into this?"

"He's the farthest from here. No way they'll find you there."

"Mom, that's almost two thousand miles away. You could've told me to go to Nan's for a while."

"Your grandmother is still inside this zip code, they would've gotten to you there. "

"Okay," I sighed, "When do I leave?"