The Key To The Letter

~Hospital~
"She needs to rest it'd be best if you go home and do the same as well." the doctor said

"Ok." Alex said looking at her mother. She watched her chest rise and fall, she looked so peacefull for their current situation.

Turning, Alex walked to the door where Jane was waiting and holding a bag. Raising her hand she handed the clear bag. "This holds your fathers belongings." Jane gave a tired smile.

Alex weakly grabbed the bag, "Thank you, we should get going..." Alex straigthened out her shoulders. "It's- it's been a long day."

Barely glancing in the bag, Alex found a key attached to a chain. Giving a confused look she grabbed it and let it dangle in her hand. "I've never seen this before do you know what it is for?" Alex said thinking father never worn jewelry except for his wedding ring.

"I don't think I have either"

The way home was quiet.

~Home~
Alex walked to her room and layed down looking at the key as it dangled till she doused off to sleep.

~Morning~
Alex walked through the halls playing with the key in her pocket and looked at her fathers office.

"Father never let me in his office..." she said thinking of memories of him. He always scolded her when she would enter.

She walked in and sat in his chair you could hear the sound of how old it was when she leaned back. The key fell out of her pocket under the desk she ducked under the desk to grab it when she took note of a drawer with a key hole.

"I wonder..." she held the key and put it in. Turning the key she heard the familiar click. "It worked." Alex opened the drawer and saw letters stacked neatly on top of each other. Taking the letters she crawled out from under the desk and dropped them on the desk. Giving a nervous glance at the door she could see the furious look her father would have given her for looking through his stuff.

Giving and taking a breath she looked at the papers when she noticed a picture of her mom paper clipped to another. Picking it up, her thumb grazed the photo before her eyes shifted to the paper behind it. Her eyes widened as it read the contents.

"To My Beloved Father"

'I don't remember giving this to father' Alex thought.

"Miss, would you like to come and visit the hospital with me?" Alex quickly shoved the letter that she was going to read, in her pocket and shoved the rest of letters inside the front drawer.

"Yeah, s-sure" Alex said rushing out the door.