Run- Part One- Pursuit III

Mike grabbed Andy's hand and dragged her to a side-clearing. "There's water for you to clean yourself up a bit and a piece of metal that serves as a mirror. Afraid you'll just have to use your fingers for a hairbrush." He said with a wide smile, something Andy was beginning to realise was a regular adornment of his face.

She looked around. It was a small space but it looked like it served its purpose well. "Thanks kid," she grinned back, immediately warming up to the bright-eyed, bright spirited teen. He scampered away and Andy sank to her knees in front of a shallow pool of water. She held the piece of reflective metal up to her face and drew in breath sharply.

"Da-amn." she proclaimed; stretching the word to two syllables. -To put it bluntly... She looked like bloody hell.

She began to scoop up handfuls of water to wash her face. Once she felt it was clean enough she ran some water through her hair and subsequently began to rip the knots out of it, wincing. The static electricity brought the sensation of tears pricking at her eyes which she rubbed away before once again looking into the reflective metal. She looked considerably less shitty. Her face was actually visible now and her hair was a little tamer. Her clothes, however, looked terrible but there was nothing she could really do about that.

Andy bared her miraculously still pearl-white teeth while she gripped the makeshift mirror with both hands before someone called her name.

"Andy?"

"Oh, it's you Jordan." Andy said in a dull monotone, replacing the metal to its place beside the water pool as the dark haired boy entered the space.

He feigned a hurt expression, placing a hand over his heart and arching his eyebrows. "Oh come now, is that any way to talk to the person who saved your life, hmm?"

She shot him one of her coldest, most pitying glares.

"Ouch." He winced, before coming closer to inspect her now clean face. He stopped in front of Andy, their noses about an inch apart and took in her almost pasty white skin, bright green eyes and the red freckles scattered over her nose that matched her hair.

"Huh." He sounded surprised. "You're actually kind of cute when you're not covered in dirt... or scowling," he added hurriedly when she treated him to another withering glare.

"Anyway, we're having a bit of a meeting. Come on. You're part of this group now too." he said with a strange tone in his voice that Andy noticed but disregarded. She didn't reply for a moment, both pleased and somewhat taken aback that the others had acknowledged her and had requested her presence at a meeting. Well she hadn't exactly expected them to leave her, but still. She appreciated that they recognised her.

The voices stopped as Jordan led Andy into the clearing. Cassie was standing with her arms crossed, Tucker beside her with his hands deep in his pockets and an unreadable expression as his gaze followed Andy. Layla looked worried and Mike looked serious and resigned and there was something else in his expression... Fear, maybe?

"McKenna." Cassie hailed Andy over, and she stopped curiously in front of her, though did not say anything.

"Get ready."

This time Andy could not stop the hesitant question from escaping her lips. "For what?"

"Your trial."

Okay, okay, it's short. I know that. It's barely a page and a half in Word but I couldn't resist that cliffhanger at the end xD Sorry!!!