Chapter 15

Shrupak's Outskirts

The jungle was a ferocious place. It was full of predators and deadly plants that made even the most powerfull bounty hunters watch their steps while traveling. However, Grievous knew that place all too well. He wasn't afraid, he was feeling home when he heard the snarl of a nearby mumuu. Shaak Ti blinked but kept her calm while Qalisha smirked.
'That is my prey! I will kill it!
Grievous nodded and the young girl started running towards the source of the sounds. Shaak Ti raised an eyebrow surprised:
'Aren't we going after her?
'No... it is not necessary.
'But don't the ritual needs for you to watch over her?
'Indeed, but it takes time to kill a mumuu. Qalisha is analyzing her prey right now.
'I see... and how will we know when to go after them?
'When one of them will scream.
That startled Shaak Ti. Grievous didn't even flinch at the thought. He said it in a manner that made the Jedi think if Qalisha survived, would have the cyborg still considered her his daughter? She tried to dismiss such thoughts and possibilities. A beeping sound came from the General and he realised his fleet was contacting him.
He raised his arm to answer the comlink when a scream was heard. It wasn't the mumuu. Shaak Ti looked at Grievous who instantly ran towards the fight. He jumped over some bushes and crushed some branches along, but he finally found a meadow where Qalisha was shooting the huge predator. She was bleeding but fighting fiercely. Grievous decided enough was enough and jumped on the beast while igniting his lightsaber. The animal rose on two limbs and shook Grievous off while roaring furiously. He charged at Qalisha who panicked at the sight of it. The beast was ready to crush her when the girl was Force-pushed away. Shaak Ti sighed relieved and ignited her weapon as the mumuu was now approaching her. The Togruta Jedi used her lightsaber to cut swiftly a leg of the beast and the animal growled. He charged again and Shaak Ti tried to dodge it but she was still hit and thrown into a tree. The mumuu was now ready to crush her small body when Grievous used all his force and picked the beast with hus hands, throwing it away. He growled more menacing than the mumuu who was sudennly scared of him. The General used all his lightsabers and now charged in the beast, cutting him in pieces. The fight was over in 5 minutes but Qalisha and Shaak Ti were feeling really exhausted . Grievous went to the Jedi and lifted her to her feet.
'Are you alright?he sounded worried.
That made Shaak Ti smile weakly.
'I will be fine... I hope we don't search for another mumuu now...
Grievous shook his head.
'No, this one was an alpha one. He was very powerfull. I am impressed Qalisha survived long enough. Thank you for saving her...
The General's hand was beeping again. He sighed annoyed.
'What could it be?!
'Just answer. It must be important.
Grievous sudennly stopped and looked up. His antennas were picking up abnormal sounds from the sky. Shaak Ti was hearing them too and both of the saw some Clone Gunships flying above them. Grievous stared shocked at the sight of them, then remembered where his army was... and his people! Shaak Ti noticed it and picked his cold hand.
'Grievous, wait...
The General pushed her away and run back in the direction of the Shurpak city. He ran as fast as he could, almost reaching the speed of a speeder, but that didn't help him. He reached the wooden gates of the city in flames. Republic bombers were destroying everything and his little escort party was a wreck. He looked up at the red twilight sky. Clouds of smoke were raising from the burning houses and temple. A squad of clone troopers appeared running from the carnage their wrought upon the Kaleesh. Grievous stared at them and they stopped, seeing him. The cold dark gaze the cyborg was giving them was giving the soliders the most terryfing chill across their spines. The captain of the squad raised his gun.
'Back away... General Grievous...
Instead, Grievous reached for his lightsabers and started walking slowly towards them while they stepped back. Unfortunately, the fire behind them halted their retreat. They tried shooting the cyborg but he massacrated them in seconds. He turned his head up and let a furious roar.
'It was a mistake...
He whispered while returning to a false state of calm. He raised his armored arm and pushed the comlink.
'General! At last! A Republic invasion fleet has arrived! We are fighting with everything we have, but they outnumber us!Captain Dofine answered the call.
'Retain your position! YOU WILL EITHER DIE THERE OR BY MY HAND IF YOU FLEE!
Grievous heard a scared gasp from the Neimoidian Captain.
'Yes... sir!
'How many troops do we have?
'The flagship has a few thousands.
'Deploy them on the surface! I am sure some stinking Jedi is leading them. Did you recognize their flagship?
'Yes sir... it is the Negotiator.
Grievous growled angrily.
'Very well. I want these troops at these coordinates!
Grievous typed some numbers and closed the channel. Behind him, Qalisha and Shaak Ti were standing , staring at the burning city. The Kaleesh girl screamed horrified and fell on her knees. Tears started flooding from her golden eyes as she stared at her home falling apart. Grievous remained silent while watching the flames.
'Why?
Shaak Ti raised her eyebrows when the cyborg asked.
'Why did the Republic attack Kalee?
'I... I don't know...
'Why is that Obi-Wan goddamned Kenobi here?!
He turned around and glared at the woman.
'How is he always knowing my steps?! Always thwarting my plans?This wasn't even a military operation! You Jedi are insane! You deserve to die! Guardians of peace and justice... you are the most sadistic monk order I have ever seen!
Grievous stopped. It was clear that Shaak Ti didn't know about the invasion. He noticed that, but she deserved his outburst.
'Leave! Go back to your friends! Tell them I will never rest until I destroyed their Order!
Shaak Ti let a tear slide down her cheek, with true sadness in her eyes.
'I am so sorry...
'You better run now... or you shall soon follow my dead brethren!
The threat convinced Shaak Ti to step away and dissapear in the shadows of the now setting night. Qalisha was sobbing on the ground, oblivious of their surroundings. Grievous approached her and picked her up in his arms.
'Come, child. You don't need to see this anymore...
Grievous was stopped when the girl hugged his mettalic collar. He widened his eyes surprised but didn't reject it. He started walking towards a secret place he once knew...

Republic Base Camp

In the deep jungle , not far from the now ruins of Shrupak was the newly founded Forwards Post of the Republic. In the main building, Mace Windu and Obi-Wan were discussing strategies while looking at a table. The object was projecting over the surroundings with a red hologram. The bearded Jedi Master was stroking his jaw.
'I know the droid army was outside that city... but why did we have to bombard it?
'It is clear that was the perfect base for the separatists. I think they haven't had the necesarry time to establish it. It is fortunate we came here in time to destroy it.
'I get that, Master Windu, but that was a populated city... you just killed them.
'I don't think Grievous would have spared an enemy city if given the chance.
'Of course, but we are not him.
The moral debate between them was intrerupted by Commander Cody patting Obi-Wan shoulder:
'Sir, a Togruta insisted to see you.
'What? Bring her in!
Cody snapped his fingers and two clone troopers appeared with Shaak Ti. Obi-Wan sighed relieved.
'Master Ti! We thought you perished!
'Indeed, it is truly fortunate you are alive!Windu added.
Shaak Ti only frowned. Both Obi-Wan and Mace Windu raised their eyebrows surprised.
'Why are you here?she only managed to say.
The black Jedi started explaining while Obi-Wan was analyzing Shaak Ti's curious behiavour:
'Our intelligence has reported Grievous is in this area and we picked the chance to capture him.
The Togruta Jedi gritted her teeth angry:
'You just eliminated every possiblity of reedeming him!
'What?
'You killed that holy city and slaughtered it's civilians. Are this Jedi tactics?!
Obi-Wan looked at Windu with a "I told you" message in his eyes.
'It was necessary for ambushing the droids army and getting the General by surprise.
'Well, you did surprise him , quite much. He will bring actual armies now on the ground and start a war.
'I don't think so. He only has one ship on orbit with no more than 5 thousands troops. We outnumber him heavily.
'You haven't realized this is his homeworld?
'Really?
'Yes, General Grievous is a Kaleesh and he has the full support of his people. He knows this land like the back of his hand! What were you thinking?! You were so reckless.
Mace Windu frowned while Obi-Wan shook his head.
'Regardless of all this mess... we will capture Grievous and shorten this war.
'Is this all about "capturing" him? I doubt you won't try and kill him. I won't take part in this!
With that, Shaak Ti turned her back and left the room angrily.
'Well... Shaak Ti is right. However, we can't go back now.
'Agreed, Master Kenobi. We will capture that monster and leave. Do you have his location?
'No... but I know where his troops will land.
'Very well. Continue coodinating the attack from here. I will go with the clone troopers. It is time I meet that coward face-to-face.
'Good luck... I guess.