15: Rock And Roll Ruby

(I just wanna say thanks for reading this trash. And Johnny Cash is bae) (516 reads and 53 votes , woohoo 🎉)

Tour Caravan, 1956 (another time jump)

A year later, we were back on the road and touring again. While in Memphis I didn't even see my family too much. I felt bad about it, but I couldn't let it drag me down. They were sitting in Memphis living boring life's while I'm touring with people like Elvis and Johnny and Jerry Lee.

We were all grouped into two cars driving to a motel in

I was stuck with Jerry Lee, Johnny, Marshall, Carl Perkins, and Luther. I was squished in between Marshall and Luther. What a joy. Johnny was driving with Jerry Lee beside him. Carl sat in the very back next to band equipment.

I laid my head on Marshall's shoulder while he was building a bomb the size of a soccer ball and was freaking me out with it. What if it blew up while he was sitting next to me? The only sounds were Marshall ripping tape and the radio.

"Got your mind on something?" Jerry asked quietly. I opened my eyes and saw he was looking through my bare feet that were resting on the seat in front of me at Johnny.

"Whatcha doin' up there, man?" Carl asked Marshall. "I'm building a bomb," Marshall said while ripping more tape.

I lifted my head off of his shoulder and repositioned to a comfortable state.

"Where are we going again?" Carl asked. "Tyler. The George Jones show." Marshall said.

"Where was it we just was?" Carl asked. Johnny laughed and turned his head for a second. "Have another one, Carl."

"Austin, Carl. That's where you guys picked up me and Elvis. Texas loves Elvis." I said. "Hey Johnny, did you see the new charts? Cry, Cry, Cry was fourteen I think."

"Yeah I heard that but I haven't seen it." Marshall said.

"Wherever we been, I can tell you where we're going," Jerry Lee said while staring out the window into the black night. "Everybody in this car is going to hell."

I pulled my feet off the seat and set them on the carpeted ground.

"What about the car up there?" Johnny asked, motioning the car up ahead that contained Elvis and other band members. There was another car behind us but Johnny didn't mention it.

"We're all going to hell for the songs we sing. People who listen to them, they're going to hell, too." Jerry Lee said.

"Shut up with that," Marshall laughed loudly, almost making me, who is trying to fall asleep, deaf.

"God gave us the great big apple, see," Jerry Lee started again. "And He said 'Don't touch it.' He didn't say touch it once in a while. He didn't say take a nibble when you're hungry. He said 'don't touch it!'" Jerry Lee said angrily. I rolled my eyes.

Johnny caught my eye in the rear view mirror and smirked.

"Don't think about touching in, don't sing about touching it...don't think about singing bout touchin it!"

"What about me, Jerry Lee?" I played his game. "Am I going to hell?"

He leaned his head back and met my eyes. "No Liz, you're beautiful."

"Sleepy, that's what I am." I said with a grin and laid my head back. Jerry looked at Johnny. "She's makin me fall in love with her." He said. I heard Marshall laughed. Johnny grinned awkwardly.

"Feel my heart. Come here." He reached back for my hand. "Seriously. Feel my heart, baby." He grabbed my hand and brought it over his shoulder and to his warm chest.