11: Flat Broke Down Life

^^^^i just that that is funny because , Duh it's Lizzie.

~~~
October 2, 1954

Over the next few days, Elvis, Scotty, and Bill recorded songs together. Elvis was happier then ever. And so was his mom. She kept saying "I'm so proud of him!" Or "that's my son!" Gladys is just adorable.

The songs recorded were Blue Moon Of Kentucky, Good Rockin Tonight, I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine, and That's All Right so far. Elvis began playing at local clubs whenever they would allow him to.

Tonight, he was playing the Grand Ole Opry. I was freshly 20 years old since my birthday was a month earlier on September 6th.

Elvis sat at his dressing room vanity looking at himself in the mirror while leaning on his fist. He wasn't really staring at himself though, I knew. He's spaced out. I could see sweat beads on his forehead.

Scotty and Bill stepped out for waters a minute earlier and I sat on the couch with my arms crossed over my chest and my feet on the wooden coffee table, my attention half on the tv while sneaking glances at the worried Elvis.

He closed his eyes and rubbed his hands slowly together. His lips were moving but nothing was audible. A minute later his eyes opened again and he used his sleeve to wipe his forehead.

"Elvis?" I asked. He looked at me in the mirror like he had forgotten I was even there.

"Yes?" He replied. "Are you alright? What were you doing?" I asked.

He chuckled while looking down at his hands, then back at me. "Praying satnin. I need all the help from the lord I can get."

He ran a hand through his slicked back brown hair and made sure it looked perfect.

"Elvis this isn't the first time you've played a show. You do so good." I said. In fact I was jealous of myself for having such a good looking and talented singing boyfriend.

He had a small grin on his face when I looked back at him in the mirror. He stood and walked over to where I was seated and sat next to me. He put his arm around me and held me close to him, kissing my forehead then releasing me.

"What are you watching?" He asked, looking at the small tv.

"Really? The Wizard Of Oz... It came on for its 'once a year' showing. Normally I'd be home with my family watching it..." I trailed off.

I felt bad for my family. Ever since I met Elvis, I hadn't been spending time with any of them anymore. I hadn't been in over a year since Elvis walked in to Sun Records. And I should have been there more for my sister and her losing her baby. She recently just came out of her depression.

"Oh yeah, I love this movie." He said.
I thought of a fond memory of my siblings and I years ago and chuckled to myself. "What?" Elvis asked me.

"When I lived in New York City Charlie, Chuck and I used to act out this movie to my family members. I'd be Dorothy and Chuck would be the witch. And Charlie was Toto since he always acted like an animal." I smiled to myself.

I guess everybody longs for days long ago, right?

"Wait, you lived in New York?" He asked. I looked at him and met his blue eyes. I cleared my throat and shifted uncomfortably.

"Well I..." I started. "Yeah. Long ago. I moved here when I was fifteen." I shrugged it off.

"Why?" He asked.

I internally groaned. I really didn't want to share.

"I've had just a lot of problems with substance abuse I guess," I tried to sound like I didn't care if he knew. "So my parents dragged me out of the New York streets and here to Memphis."