Stone in the Sword

Mytho and I exchanged worried glances, while Adelberto looked at us in confusion. "What is it this time?" He asked, and I could see the worry in his eyes.
I walked over to him and looked him in the eyes desperately hoping I was wrong."When you got that sword, you didn't wish for anything did you?"
He looked even more confused "I already told you I wished that you and Father could be safe."
I nodded and Mytho and I exchanged relieved glances. That meant that he hadn't wished that--
"And," he suddenly said "That you wouldn't hurt anymore. Because Duck, I lo-"Then he stopped and with a puzzled look stared at the stone that was starting to glow a deep red.
Mytho looked at me desperately, and I could see the fear in his eyes that his son would be exactly like me. Cursed to love someone and never able to say anything.  And I could never sentence anyone to that. So I gritted my teeth and broke my heart into pieces again and said, "I could never love anyone like you." And I saw the heartache in Adelberto's eyes and the glow of the stone fading and knew it was working,"I could never fall for a stupid man again. God, the men in your family always feel so entitled to my love." I turned my face away from both of them so the tears weren't clear in my eyes and started walking again.
"But Duck, I-" I could hear Adelberto behind me and I could hear the tears in his voice but I continued walking. If I did this he would stop loving me and he wouldn't be cursed like I was.
I heard Mytho quietly say "Let it go." and start to walk again. And soon Adelberto followed behind him, and said not a word.

I almost wondered why it didn't hurt that bad this time, but it was better this way. It would always end the same, so I was always prepared. My heart had already been made of stone for a 100 years, anyway.