"Unlikely we'll try that again." Lane said darkly. "We don't have the death sentence in Hell. But that doesn't mean we can't make exceptions."

I kept quiet after that.

It should have gone without saying that no one in The Few seemed happy to see me. Even Stacy- though I suppose he was only doing that to keep up appearances.

"We're unhappy to see you here, Nichael." Kell said.

"That doesn't need to be said." I replied. "And, very seriously, it's Michael now."

It was harder to get more specific than unhappy. Not everyone was here, for one, which was likely something to be concerned about. Kelsey, Blair, Glenn, Logan and Noel, had yet to show. That didn't mean they were dead, but well, no one wanted to be hopeful about anything right now.

There was a quiet and unassuming girl sitting next to Kell who looked vaguely familiar, and after a bout of thought, I recognized from many months ago, back in a bar one late night. Christina, the red-haired friend of Pepper. She had mentioned that she sometimes got involved in these matters.

Alexander was also missing, but quite rightfully no one was concerned about that. Even if they weren't fully aware he was immortal, he was known to disappear in times of trouble, and honestly if he ended up dead most people were pretty certain it would be beneficial to the city in the long run.

"You've named yourself after your god?" Micky asked.

"Why does everyone say that? Your name is Michael too and I'm not accusing you of worshipping it." It was still a very inappropriate time to make jokes, and absolutely no one- myself included- was amused.

"I'm not the angel."

"I'm not an angel either. Did that not make it through the transmission? I'm Graceless. I'm wingless."

"We can't exactly prove that."

"Anymore than we have, of course. That court trial happened. I'm legally a demon and legally not involved in this."

"Nichael." Kell said. "None of that matters. All we know- all everyone knows- is that you sent a broadcast to every channel in the city and told everyone angels were coming. And then the lower levels collapsed."

"It was a warning. It was helpful."

"Thousands are dead."

I couldn't defend myself. I looked at the pattern of the carpet. It was nice. Aesthetically pleasing.

"You look guilty." Lane said. With so many missing, The Few was down to just five people. There was a joke to be made there.

"He was harassing me yesterday- right before he went to speak to Stacy." Moll said.

"He enjoys my company." Stacy said, waving the implied accusation off. "What can I say? I don't control him."

I wasn't really the center of attention in the room, I realized. They were quite happy to accuse me of whatever, but otherwise everyone's attention was much more drawn to their computers of the television at the far end of the room. News was what was driving them. I was just here to be safe.

"Michael's going to kill me later."

Micky looked up from his phone, pointed to himself for a moment, made a face, and then looked down again.

"The arch-angel?" Kell seemed very unhappy to hear the name. "The tunnels are, at the very least, keeping people out of Hell for the moment."

"Nah, they could still get in. The elevator at the entrance stops in the old welcome center as well as the rift to the cycling Earth." Lane explained without paying much attention.