Chapter 14:

Chapter Fourteen

“What’s  uppy?” Someone asked me from behind, breaking me from the frantic images of last night. When I turned around, I saw a normal high school’s cafeteria, different kind of students on every corner of the place.  Of course, Kale was there, too. He was already at my back, as I was standing in the middle of the cafeteria, because there were no vacant chairs and tables. Anyways, I almost laugh at his question.

“What the hell is ‘what’s uppy?” I say, chuckling lightly.

“Oh, it’s ‘what’s happening’. I just get used to it.” He explained, wiggling his eyebrows. I finally burst out laughing at his explanation and because of his weirdness.

“Okay,” I said between my laughs.

“Are you fine?” he blurted out. My laughter died in confusion.

“Yes, I am. Why are you asking, though?” I asked him.

He shrugged as he answered my question. “Your mind seems to be floating somewhere out here.”

The blood drained from my lips instantaneously as he uttered those words. My mind flew back to the scene last night, where I almost cheated on him. Cheating sounds pretty normal with teenagers and their hormones, but cheating on your boyfriend with your cousin sounds pretty peculiar and abnormal.

I went inside my room, blinded not by the light but the darkness as I closed the door behind me. I heard a low screeching sound inside and my heart went racing. I couldn’t see, but I could sense and smell his fragrance. No other than my cousin, Adrian Willow.

Before I could mutter a single word, I was trapped by two long and muscled arms, my back pressed on the door. The hot and minty breath of him brushed my lips as he murmured something.

“Enjoy while it lasts, Claire.” His voice sent shivers through my spine, even though his words confused me. He seemed to notice my confusion as I was not saying a single word.

He moved his face dangerously close to mine, his lips almost touching mine.

“Oh, confused a little, aren’t we?” he mocked me. “I said enjoy while your relationship lasts, Claire.”

“What do you mean by that?” I asked him, my voice shaking. I am not sure if I am just a typical girl, because Adrian frightens me, even though Kale’s appearance looks more terrifying.

He chuckled lightly. Even though the darkness consumed us both, I could sense the sly smile forming on his cheeky face. “Oh, I don’t mean anything by that. Does that sound alarming?” he mocked me. “I’m sorry about that. It’s just that I want to remind you that I own the half of your heart.”

The trembling lips of mine suddenly went pale. Adrian really has something in his head, and it is so fucking hard to distinguish or to read. He’s always in his mysterious self.

“Shut up! How many times to I have to tell you that you’re not my other half?! I have a boyfriend now, leave me alone.” I spat those words at him. Honestly, I was little surprised that I was able to mutter those words without stuttering.

“Do you even like your boyfriend, Claire?” he asked and I shut my mouth. Answer the damn freaking question, I scolded myself. But I was not able to say a single word. What the fuck is wrong with me? “I thought I was the one you like? Remember two years ago, when you confessed to me, we were relaxing inside our tree house when you suddenly blurted those words. ‘Adrian, I like you.’.” he added.

I gasped as I clenched my fists. How could he bring that topic up? “Shut up! I already said that I like you as a cousin, didn’t I?” I shouted at his pretty face.