The first day

It was the first day. The first day with my new horse that is. I picked up my phone off my desk and dialed Olivia's number. "Hey red" she answered. Red was her nickname for me, and it should be pretty obvious why. "Hey, okay so today's the first day of lessons, not gonna lie I'm pretty nervous" "don't worry you'll be fine, I bet your a natural, your a natural at everything else" she responded, laughing. "I guess your right, thanks Olivia , I'll text you later" I hung up the phone and opened my bedroom door. I jumped back when my mom was standing there smiling holding a thin white box. "Good morning honey" "oh um hi mom... Wait what are you doing home from work again?" "Well we want to make sure your all ready for your first lesson, I mean that horse was a big investment" with that she handed me the box and closed the door "be ready in 20 minutes the chaffier will take you" I locked the door and brought the box over to my bed. The box was clean white with a little blue ribbon. I undid the silky smooth ribbon and took the top off the box. Inside was a pair of tan breeches, a white polo shirt and a card saying my boots and helmet were downstairs. I quickly took my clothes off, got change and went downstairs pulling on my boots with a piece of bread hanging from my mouth.

It was a short drive to the barn, maybe only 10 minutes. We pulled up to a huge riding school, that may as well have been a five star hotel. There were stable hands all in uniform, valleys, beautiful prize horses, and a woman with a clipboard waiting right by the car roundabout for me. "Hi, you must be Scarlett, nice to meet you" she shook my hand, as I was still looking around gawking in disbelief. "Your trainer for today will be mrs. Lillian, now go find your horse and tack her up, the stable hands will help you" I stood there for a minute awkwardly, then spoke up "I actually don't really know which horse is mine" she stood there looking at me with confusion for a second then said "she'll be in the second barn, and her stall has her name on it" she sighed, turned, then walked away shaking her head.

I walked over to the barn and walked down the row of horse stalls, I look from side to side but eventually find one I recognize. I read the name tag and yes it was Socks. I felt bad for not recognizing my own horse, but I was sure I would get better. A young stable hand in a green top and breeches walked over, "Hi I'm will, I'm going to be helping you tack up your horse today" he smiled and pet Socks, "what a beautiful horse, what breed is she?" "Er I don't actually really know" I said shifting my feet. He laughed and said "So your one of those people" "one of what people!?" I say with a scowl creeping over my face. "The kind that doesn't know anything about horses, but begs daddy to get you one" "am not!" I stomped my foot "besides I didn't even want a horse, I just got her for my birthday" I turned my back to him and opened up the stall door. The horse backed up and looked nervous, "shhh girl" I said calmly reaching out and petting her head, she came closer. "Well would you look at that, you do know how to be around horses" Will said leaning on the stall door, when I turned back to the horse I had a faint smug smile on my face. "Now, grab your halter and we'll take her over to a tack room" I stood there puzzled, he sighed and handed me the halter from the door. I took it and twisted it and moved it around looking for a way to put it on. Will laughed and opened the stall door he grabbed the halter and showed me how to put it on, "ya I knew how to do that I was just making sure everything on the bridle was okay" he snickered "well first of all, ya right, and second of all its a halter not a bridle" I rolled my eyes and walked the horse out into a tack stall. Will showed me how to put the rest of the tack on and how to groom her, then I made my way to the arena.

There was a woman standing there waiting. "Hevllo, I am Miss Lillian, I vill be your trainzer for today" she had a thick Russian accent and a fierce, wrinkled face. "Mvount your horse, and wez will begin" I was shaking but I climbed on carefully into the English saddle. "Yes I did it!" I said patting socks on the shoulder. "Congratulations youz can mvount a horse" she said sarcastically clapping slowly. I clicked to have the horse walk on, and I circled around the arena. "Nvice posture, but youz need to keep your heelz down" Miss Lillian said. "Tryz her for a trot" she said. I squeezed then clicked to her saying "trot" and we were in a trot. Unfortunately Miss Lillian was not impressed "Horrible, hazn't anyone ever taught you howz to post" I shook my head, whilst being flopped around. "That'z enough for today" she said shaking her head "dismount and goz untack" I climbed down and lead her up to the barn.

I took her saddle and bridle off, and began brushing her. I lifted up a hoof and began scrapping the dirt and rocks out. Right as Will came by Socks put her hoof down, as if trying to mock me. Ugh someday I'm going to wipe that stupid I know more about horses than you look right off his face. "I see you haven't got much better at grooming then. "I'm fine, really" I say rolling my eyes and picking up the hoof again.

That day when I got home. I flopped onto the couch, and switch on the tv. My hair was a mess and my body ached, the smell of horse lingered on me, and the best part is... I get to do it all over again tomorrow.

A/N:
Hi guys thanks so much for reading!
I'm really excited about this book!
Let me know if you guys have any suggestions
Also feel free and add it to your library so you can get updates when they come out. :))