A big birthday gift

(1st person POV)

My eyelids opened slowly, adjusting to the light coming from my windows. I rubbed my eyes removing the crusties from them. I yawned and cover my mouth realizing how bad my morning breath is. I turned to my bedside table, and grabbed my iPhone. It read 10:30am and underneath is a list of happy birthday text messages.

I slipped my feet out of bed and touch the cold wood floor beneath me. I'm in no rush this morning, no responsibilities, no commitments, and most of all no point in caring that it was my 15th birthday. After all no one besides Olivia really cared, that's why it shocked me to descend the stairs and find my mother and father reading the newspaper and chatting on the phone at the dinning table.

I walked in hesitantly, they smiled and hung up their calls. "Honey! Happy Birthday!" My mom said, her and dad walking towards me. They noticed the puzzled look on my face and stopped. "What's wrong?" "Um nothing, I just didn't expect you guys to be here, I mean the last time you were here for my birthday was when I was 7" they paused to think about this "oh, it seems it was" my father said muttering to my mother. They continued on to embrace me. "Okay well... I guess it's present time then!" My mother said in a high pitched excited voice. They told me to close my eyes and walked me out slowly. I automatically assumed it was a car for me to learn to drive in, but when I opened my eyes there was a long snout right next to my face breathing heavily on me.

I jumped backwards, surprised by the horse that was standing in front of me. "Aww she's so cute, just one problem... I don't know how to ride" "that's quite alright we have signed you up for lessons with top trainers at a riding academy near us" I smiled and laughed as the horse tried to nibble on my hand. "Where'd ya get her?" "She was a prize show jumper horse"I have to admit she was beautiful. Long main and tail, light chestnut color with white stockings and an adorable blaze on her head. "Thanks guys! This is a pretty cool present" they hugged me and turned to go back into the house to make up for any second of missed calls. I petted her for a while until some stable hands loaded her into a truck.

Later that day I pondered on what to call her. Since I had no ideas I decided on something generic... Like Socks! Yup that was it, her new name was socks.