We Are Not Alone - Chapter Nine

"I'm scared..."

A quietly sigh escapes your mouth when you hear these words. "Me too, Josh, me too", you reply whispering and give his hand a softly squeeze. You want to hug him tightly and say that everything is just a really mean nightmare, but it would be just another pretty lie. The situation is intense and creepy like the god damn dark forest around the two of you. Behind every tree could wait a wendigo. In this moment you would give everything to know that everyone you love and like is safe.

Josh looks around a bit hysterical and snaps you out of your thoughts. You know exactly how he feels. It's hard to suppress the paranoid feeling that someone is watching you. "Everything is alright. Just keep walking, okay?", you try to calm him down with a soft smile, but he fear doesn't leave his eyes. Suddenly you feel a bit bad that you put him into this situation. Maybe you should have warned your friend earlier. There has to be a way to comfort him so you two get to the lodge as fast as possible.

"Can you remember Christmas two years ago? Beth gave you this super ugly shirt, but you wore it anyway to make her happy", you start to talk about a random memory to distract him. You can almost see how his body relaxes, while your grip around the machete tightens. At least one of you two is calm.

Even a slight smile appears on his face as the memory rushes through his head. "Yes, I hated this shirt. Hannah got me the matching socks to the shirt", Josh mumbles losing himself in the good old time. Just for safety you throw a glance over your shoulder. There is nothing but darkness. This uneasy feeling won't leave you like someone or something is watching the two of you.

"To be honest they told me to buy you the matching jacket. I thought it would be a bit too much", you reply after a few seconds looking around for wendigos. Josh chuckles for a brief moment about your statement. "Yes, that's typical for the twins", his slight smile faints away with his words. Now the sadness fills the empty place of the fear.

Suddenly the silence between the two of you gets disturbed from a weird pitched scream. Your heart skips a beat, while you stop in your movement immediately. "Don't move an inch, Josh. Keep quiet and everything will be alright", you order whispering. Your eyes are searching for a hint from where the noise came. Josh's grip around your hand tightens with every second.

You are sure that the creatures will hear your racing heartbeat. Something appears between the trees, but it's too dark to see what it is. Maybe it's just a deer running through the woods. Josh starts shaking like a leaf in the wind. "Shh...", you try to keep him calm, while you watch the moving shadow. "(Y/N)...", he whispers your name to get your attention.

Right next to you appears a wendigo out of the darkness. Your body tenses up, but you can't move your head to see how close the creature is to you two. Cold sweat is running down your spine. That's more terrifying than a god damn nightmare. Why won't this intense night just end?

The monsters look around with their dull eyes to find you and Josh. That's just a matter of time. They would leave you behind when you two just keep motionless. One of the wendigos turns his head and screams with its pitched voice. This creature is really close, because you hear his scream too well. You almost winced scared, but in the last moment you force your body to stay still.

The situation doesn't get better as another wendigo appears. It seems bigger and stronger than the other two monsters. Suddenly they start to scream at each other before one of them attack the big wendigo. Within one second the three monsters are fighting. This could be your chance to slowly walk away.

You give Josh a softly squeeze with your hand to signalize him it's time to go. Hopefully the way you choose isn't a dead end or something like that. The wendigos are still busy with their fight, but apparently the two little ones have no chance against the big one. It seems like the monster tries to defend someone, but you could be wrong.

Really carefully you make the first step, then another one. Josh follows you like a lost puppy. The uneasy feeling in your stomach gets worse with every little step. Screaming the two little wendigos lose the fight and run away as fast as they can. Your heart want to jump out of your chest as you turn your head a little bit to see the last creature. It's definitely too close to Josh and you.

Something weird catches your attention, when the dangerous monster turn around to look into your direction. A tiny black butterfly on the arm of the wendigo. The realization almost knocks you out like a punch in your face. Just one person you know has a tattoo on his right upper arm. Unfortunately Josh discovers the same thing you have seen.

His eyes widen shocked, while you press your lips into a thin line. You are probably not religious, but in this moment you pray to everything you know that Josh keeps his mind together. Apparently nobody hears your prayers. "No, no, no. You are not real!", he exclaims almost yelling at the creature. Of course it hear his words and look at him with its dull eyes.

Even your squeeze doesn't help as Josh takes a few step back. The wendigo notices his movements and screams loudly. There is no time to think about a good plan. Josh is going to run away in a brief moment and the creature will hunt him like a little bunny. You have to do something, but what?

Should you distract the wendigo or stick with Josh?