15th July 1915

2 months I've been here. And the banging hasn't stopped once. I'm incredibly lonely. Kaelin had been in an infantry charge but had been shot down before he could leave the trench. And it doesn't help that his body is piled up with the rest on top of the trench. I've had to walk past it everyday for about 2 weeks now. I'm all by myself. No friends left to help me get through this.

The trench conditions aren't exactly the best, either. We've had to eat hard biscuits and drink dirty water! For 2 months now! And it's been raining quite a bit recently. Everyone's covered in mud and walking through water. People have gotten a weird thing growing on their feet as well. They're calling it Trench Foot. Seems appropriate.

I find it pointless, what we're doing. No matter what we try, we can't seem to take the lead in this war. It's literally hell here. We're fighting for something we don't even know about and dying while trying to win. We're not even achieving anything.

Right now, going home seems like the best choice. At least there, I'll know that my life isn't on the line. And I'll be able to talk to Francine again. And Peter. It's suppose to be Peter's birthday soon. He'll be 6. And I'm gonna miss it. What a terrible father I am. I'll just have to wish him a happy birthday when I get back.