3

Larkin followed Black Lightning into the nicer district of town. He didn't stop at all and stuck to the shadows.

He eventually came to a large forest on the edge of town. It was also a park. He slipped through the tree trunks, as nimble as a fox. Larkin slunk through the forest, right behind him.

They were somewhere in the middle of the woods when he started to climb a tree, a very tall tree.

A treehouse. Classic, thought Larkin. The tree was unmarked. There wasn't a ladder or even any handholds. She started to climb the tree when he disappeared into the canopy.

Black Lightning was invisible among the branches and leaves. Larkin couldn't see him or his treehouse. She could barely see the rough bark in front of her face.

The constant chirping of cicadas filled her ears. This tree is awfully high. Where is the treehouse? Larkin started to worry.

Suddenly, a gloved hand reached around her face and clasped itself onto her mouth. Her eyes widened in shock. The other hand gripped her right arm and twisted it behind her back. No one could sneak up on Coalescence, at least, that's what she liked to tell herself. She was too shocked to even struggle.

"I'm not an idiot. I knew someone was following me," whispered a voice. It was right next to her ear.

Larkin could feel Black Lightning's breath on the back of her neck. She was too in shock to react. She had the ability to break free, but didn't. He must be able to fly. How could he sneak up on me like that?

With her other hand, Larkin removed the hand from over her mouth.

"You must know who I am by now, since you knew you were being followed," she replied.

"Coalescence." He abruptly let go of her and she tumbled down the tree.

Larkin landed in a crouch and stood up, on guard. He may be a super, like her, but he was especially clever. She watched as he floated down from the tree, landing with a thump.

"That's obviously not your hideout," she stated.

"No."

"Take me to it."

"Why should I?"

Larkin put her hands on her hips and stepped closer to the imposing boy. She stood as tall as she could, trying to match his height.

"We have to work together. And that's only going to happen if we talk. I don't want to stand out here all night, so get along with it," urged Larkin. While she was standing so close to him, she took the opportunity to study his features more.

Larkin could see some hair sticking out the backside of his helmet: blond. He had blue eyes, and Larkin would have described them as ice, not because they were cold, but because of the color.

He sighed and began walking through the forest again. Larkin followed close behind, determined not to let him trick her again.

He stopped about three trees away from the first one and began climbing it.

"So it is a tree house," said Larkin.

"I never said it wasn't."

She followed him up the tree until they came upon a ladder hanging from a platform. She grasped the ladder with both hands and pulled her legs up onto it. She climbed a little more before her head poked through a hole in the platform.

"This is a nice setup you got here." Larkin pulled herself through the hole and stood in Black Lightning's treehouse.

The hideout was one large room. Tree branches poked through the floor in random places, holding the place aloft. The floor was covered in a rubber-like substance, probably to diffuse the electricity Black Lightning can produce. The walls were painted a deep forest green. In one corner, there were chairs, a television, and a stereo. I wonder if he gets cable here. A different corner had a kitchenette. The third corner had a couch and the last one had all the superhero gadgets and such.