2. Stuck in the middle of somewhere

Xander

    "Hey little bud. How's it going?" Ashton asked as he ruffled my hair and sat across from me.
I was sitting on the kitchen counter trying to do my History homework. Trying...
I hated history. It was all so boring. I preferred living in the present.

   And the past really wasn't something I wanted to remember. "I'm not 12 y'know?" I said to him.
He laughed and said,"Yeahhh.... Just the whole parents thing." He then covered his mouth quickly like he wasn't supposed to tell me my parents had died.
    Exactly the same like when he told me when I was 14.
"They've been dead two years... That's the past. Can we move on?" I asked annoyed.

  "Wait really?" Ashton said.
At first I thought he was joking but by his tone I could tell he wasn't. "Have you been drinking again?" I asked, getting angrier by the minute.
He didn't have his car keys, and he had been kinda giggly when he opened the door.
  "NOPE!" he yelled.
  Yeah, he had been drinking. I sighed. Having a 24 year old drunk wasn't fun... Trust me. And he had a job interview in about a half hour. His new girlfriend had gotten him the interview. Honestly I don't know what he did to get her to agree to date him. He was a complete alcoholic, and couldn't take care of himself. Jane was really nice and she did not deserve my cousin, she deserves someone better. He seriously didn't seem to care though. Sighing, I stood up and asked Ashton if he had paid the cable bill yet. "Umm..."
"Ashton! That was the only thing you had to do!" Pulling at my hair I sat at the counter once again and logged in to our laptop. I quickly looked at my parents' bank account. We only had about 3,000 dollars left for the rest of our lives.
      If Ashton didn't get a job, I would. I quickly proceeded to pay the bill online. I already knew all these things since living with Ashton was sort of like living alone.
    I swear sometimes it seemed like I was the adult here. That's when I realized I was stuck here in this dump for another 2 years.
2 more years of taking care of my older cousin.
2 more years of having to do almost everything. I didn't even know if I belonged here. I had always seemed out of place.
I felt weird and like I was stranded in a very familiar island. That really wasn't home...
Maybe I was lost in the middle of somewhere.