"I have no doubt it will, my son. You seem to have grown into your responsibility, and I can see that I must move with the times, and trust the two of you. I think you will make a good team."

"I concur, Papa." Alexios smiled openly at Sydney now. He looked so boyish. She smiled back.

"Good. Because I have had a grand idea. I would like to invite her—you, Sydney—to the hoteliers' convention that is being thrown here at the Midas next Saturday night. It is admirable that you bartend for your father, and have helped me to see the error of my ways, but I believe you need to use that education you have. I imagine your father wants you to, as well.

"You can make a lot of contacts at this event. Even if you don't choose to leave your family business at this time, you'll have the connections for when you are ready. If you are in agreement, I would like you to be my guest at the convention, and I leave Alexios to work out the details with you.

"Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go check and see if Mama needs help with the dessert." Without waiting for her reply, Alex gave a short nod and then disappeared through the kitchen doorway.

Sydney and Alexios stood awkwardly in the dining room, not sure of what had just transpired. In the space of a few minutes they'd been granted full rein to do whatever they wanted with the lounge, Alexios had received his father's beaming approval of his more businesslike manner, and Sydney had been invited to a Who's Who of Hoteliers much like Cinderella going to the ball.

"We did it." Alexios took both Sydney's hands in his. She fought the insane impulse to throw herself into his arms.

"It didn't seem to take too much pushing to get him on our side." She searched his dark brown gaze.

"I think he could see the writing on the wall. Besides, faced with a woman as beautiful and determined as you, how could he continue to resist?"

Sydney rolled her eyes at his blatant pandering, and he grinned and pulled her against him. The solid wall of his chest invited her to snuggle, as did the steady beat of his heart under her ear. Only the knowledge that the rest of the family was in the next room kept her from doing what she wanted. That, and the sound of Orrin's disgusted voice coming from behind them. "Not again. Are you serious?"

Sydney couldn't resist a giggle.

***

"Oh, Daddy, is it wrong to like a dress this much?"

It was the Saturday of the hoteliers' convention, and Sydney stood in front of the full-length mirror in her bedroom. Her father remained just outside her room in the hallway, and the glowing smile on his face mirrored the one on hers.

"Not when it looks like that on you."

Sydney laughed and twirled, watching the silver sequins catch the ceiling light and reflect it back like millions of stars. The dress was full-length and form-fitting, with spaghetti straps and a slit up to her thigh that displayed her legs with every step. Her shoes were silver and black and six stories high, but surprisingly comfortable. She'd smoothed her hair back into a French twist, and finished off her face with sultry makeup. A few bangles on her wrists and her mother's diamond studs in her ears were her only jewelry.

"I do look good, don't I?" She answered on another chortle. Really, she'd laughed more this past week than she had in the last few months. She'd enjoyed shopping for a dress way too much this week, and her excited giddiness was beginning to grate on her nerves. She refused to believe it had anything to do with Alexios and his continued attention. She couldn't be that shallow that her moods were linked to a man's interest, could she be?