"I did, Papa, and I back her completely."

Whoa, had she heard right? A look of triumph seeped into Alexios's expression as he gazed back at her. He knew she hadn't expected his unswerving loyalty. This was his father they were talking with, after all. But, she should have known better. For all his haughty ways, Alexios had always supported her ideas, had never said no to any of them. Even when she'd lit shots, he'd questioned the safety aspect, not her showmanship abilities.

He squeezed her fingers under the table. "I back her completely, Papa, because her opinions support mine, and, since you haven't listened to me, perhaps you will now listen to someone outside the family. You want me to make a success of the Midas Lounge, yet you tie my hands with your outdated vision. Which is it that you want?"

Sydney heard the slight catch in his voice, and it was her turn to tighten her grip. He had never spoken with such passion for his job before. He always acted like the bored aristocrat, the playboy too busy to be bothered with his inheritance beyond spending it. But today he voiced a frustration, a hesitancy that said he cared more than she'd previously thought.

With that in mind, she turned her attention to his father and fought to control the glare she wanted to skewer him with. She ignored the reason why she felt this sudden protectiveness for a man who could hold his own, had held his own, in any situation so far that she'd witnessed.

But Alex wasn't looking at her. Instead, father and son held a silent battle of wills with their locked gazes. She was forgotten in their awareness of each other. Finally Alex nodded, even though no one had spoken.

"At last I hear passion in you, Lexie. For too long it has been nothing but resentment out of your mouth, in your behavior, but that has changed. You speak from the heart, and it warms me." With an abrupt move he gave Sydney his whole attention, even took her hand, the one not holding Alexios's, and raised it to his mouth, kissing its back. Her jaw dropped open. Whatever she had expected, it had not been a kiss on the hand.

"Sydney Hughes, thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for showing my son the importance of his legacy. For bringing out an enthusiasm for the business that he has never displayed before. You have taught him more in a matter of weeks than I have in a lifetime. You have my undying gratitude."

Sydney felt her face flush. His profuse thanks, coupled with the old world kiss on her hand just like his son's when they'd first met, embarrassed her. She refused to look at Alexios, though she sensed his eyes upon her. She stuttered her response.

"I—I didn't do anything, sir, really. I just told him the same thing."

"Yes, but your words come from a much prettier package than his old father."

Now she knew her face was on fire. She made the mistake of glancing at Alexios, who grinned back at her. She got hotter.

"Lexie, I've changed my mind. I think you and Sydney are right. You have shown a marked improvement in leadership and decision-making, and I will reward that with carte blanche when it comes to the lounge. You two may put your heads together and work up a suitable renovation for the lounge. I don't want to see the plans; I don't want to be involved in any way. It will be your sole responsibility." He leaned back in his chair with a Cheshire cat smile upon his face.

Sydney blinked, stunned. Alexios looked just as shell-shocked. He stood, and his father did also. They clasped each other in the one-armed hug proud men adopt when they want to show affection but are at a loss at how to do so. Sydney rose also, though more slowly.

"Thank you, Papa. You won't regret this. Sydney and I, we share the same vision for the Midas Lounge. We'll start immediately. It will become the most popular hot spot on the Strip, guaranteed."