Chapter twenty four | Bright Ideas

Start from the beginning

Getting frustrated I closed the door and turned to the dining table a little way from where I was standing but stopped dead when I saw Payne standing a few feet away from me.

His scent was intoxicating and as he stood so close I was drowned in its glorious minty freshness with a hint of dark spices. It was heaven to my nose and I had to fight the urge to make a loud, long, deep intake of breath. That would be embarrassing.

Finally finding my words I stared up at him and began speaking. Those piercings made him even more intimidating. "W-what do you want to eat?"

He simply shrugged and made his way to the dining table chairs. "Surprise me." He stated as he pulled out a phone I didn't even know he had and made a call.

Before I could hear a word that was uttered from either ends of the line he stepped out through the glass sliding doors near the window.

Whatever.

Getting back with my program I decided to make omelettes for us and I began making my way around the kitchen to get the ingredients that I needed.

Everything was fine. Until one problem.

I couldn't reach the salt.

It was in one of the high shelves above the counters and I had to tip toe to see the container it was in. Even on my toes, I couldn't reach it.

This can't be happening-

"Seriously? You can't reach the salt?" Following those hurtful words was a loud drawling of a deep husky laughter. Payne's.

It was adorable to hear but when it was directed toward me, I felt to throw the closest thing, which was a tomato at him.

Turning to face my bully I gave him a glare that belonged in hell, "How nice of you to laugh at my shortness instead of just handing me the salt. Such a gentleman." Rolling my eyes and turning back to the task at hand and trying not to have to jump up to reach the handle of the shelve I heard the laughter pause. Everything went silent.
I turned.

There, in the same spot as before leaning against the kitchen island counter in the middle of the room, no longer on his phone and with a smirk on his beautiful face Payne was trying his best not to laugh at me and I was immediately annoyed. His mood swings were really pissing me off. First he was mad, then he's weird, then he's awkward, then he's the devil then he's a bubbly little boy.

"In my defence I wasn't laughing at your shortness .. . I was laughing at how tiny you are. You're what.. 5'2?" He stated and laughed a little more. I seriously loved that sound but .. Not right now.

"I hate you." I growled out with a playful glare in my eye and he simply shrugged and began making his way back to the seat.

After sitting and raising his huge feet ontop of the table revealing those black shitkicker boots he always wore, he folded two thick biceps behind his head and with a smirk still dancing on his face he simply said, "I thought that was the point."

*********
Fifteen or maybe twenty minutes later I was finished with our meal and was like a waitress on a busy day in the diner with two plates in my hands together with glasses of pineapple juice as I made my way over to the table where Payne was still seated busying himself with something on his phone.

Bummer. In my old pack we didn't use them, mind linking each other was enough and faster really, the use of cell phones were just a waste of time, they were designed for humans who couldn't mind link. Guess Payne liked the use of technology. Interesting, it seemed as though, from as far as I caught up, he went to the human side a lot, with his piercings and all those tattoos and the fact that he has a phone said enough really.

The sound of the fancy plates hitting the table was all the noise out of the two of us and as I took my seat we began to eat in another dead silence.

This was weird.
I didn't know what to say.
After everything we've been through having a normal conversation didn't seem possible.

We were laughing and joking around earlier but in reality we both were two messes still trying to figure how the hell we were going to fix what we got ourselves into.

I could have left.
I should have left.

But coulda, woulda, shoulda and I'm still here. Waiting. For two things. Either the perfect reason to go, or the simplest reason to stay.

"Payne?" He looked up from his almost finished meal. Those piercing grey eyes finding my, dull blue ones. "Do you think the Alpha of my old pack would come back? Like for revenge or something?" It was a stupid question but it cut the stifling silence.

His face didn't even twitch, frown or even smile. He just shrugged and took the last few bites of his meal. Waiting. Waiting. Wait-

"If he enjoys being alive he'll stay as far as possible from my lands." His eyes found mine once more as he sat back in his chair. A look of satisfaction from his meal was better than him telling me it tasted good.

"Are you afraid of him?" He asked after a while and now I was the one to stare into my partially eaten meal.

"I'm not afraid of him, I'm just weaker than him, so it only makes sense that I be cautious around my surroundings." I stated and he nodded at my candid answer. It was beyond truth. I wouldn't go near him or any of them actually because of the advantage they have against me. Sort of reminded me of how Dimitry held me against him that night and I wasn't able to get out, try as I might.

I couldn't help myself from flinching at the thought. Payne noticed. His brows dropped low over his eyes.

"What?" I asked after a while of him studying my face.

His stare didn't falter at my question. "I just figured out what we're doing today Alexis." To that a sly smile grew on his face and I immediately got nervous, my heart beggining to pound in my chest.

With a nervous gulp I asked, "And that is?"

He rose to his feet and took up both our plates but before he walked off he said in a very formal, non negotiable way,

"My sister and I will have our hands filled with you today. You lack training so that's why you're weaker than they are. I'd like to change that. Go up to you're room and change into something loose."

No, please no. Come on.

I almost pouted at the statement. Learning to fight and defend myself properly was now a dream and a nightmare come true.

Learning to fight would be good for my wolf, she'd get stronger and I'd be capable of self defense.

Learning to do those things from Payne and Payge, I'd have a higher standard of learning but at what cost?

They learned how to fight by force from their father and if they're so brutal and I mean, they killed the guy, it must have been some tough stuff.

Who's to say they won't be the same rough and demanding toward my training? What are the punishments if I don't cooperat-

"Alexis, go get ready now!"

Dearest goddess above. Help me.

Hi !! I missed you all.. I hope you enjoy this chapter. It took me forever to write but at least I got to update something for you guys. Until next time people ...
Xoxo
Random.