The corridor was SO familiar, so she hoiked her baby bag over her shoulder and marched in the direction of Joel.

Joel Edwards was having a hellish day, he sat at his desk, head in hands as he waited for his computer to notify him of an incoming email, the email that was crux to his projects for the next three months. Incompetence and inefficiency blighted his life.

Running his hands through his hair he slumped back in his seat, he needed coffee, hell he needed whisky, but that wasn't happening. He couldn't seem him getting out of the office much before nine, his 'to-do' list resembled the menu for his local Chinese, it may have even been longer.

"Janet?" He called in the direction of the corridor where his PA was situated. She was used to his moods so he didn't hide the snap in his voice.

Refreshing his email once more he groaned. Nothing.

And no coffee.

"Janet?"

When there was still no answer he dragged himself to his feet and marched out of the office, his anger barely under control. She was the greatest PA a man could ask for, a woman having brought up four sons herself she was well used to his moods and foibles. She was usually in tune with him, the coffee arriving without him asking. Typically today was different.

But as he stepped into the foyer he stopped dead, a jolt of pain spearing his chest at the sight that met him.

He'd recognise Sammy anywhere, though the vibrant red head that he'd first seen on the ferry in Greece several years earlier was a distant relative to the woman who stood half turned from him, deep in conversation with Janet.

She had amazing hair; he and Marcus had both spotted that as she boarded the boat, long auburn waves that floated around her shoulders. Marcus had then lusted after her curves, his quote that first night when they'd parted at the port had been, 'she is just made to touch'. Joel hadn't shared that thought, in fact he thought it rather sexist, but now seeing the tiny woman in front of him, he could see how much weight she'd lost, and her lustrous pale skin was dull, devoid of any glow. And she was wearing shapeless grey clothing that hung from her, the woman who had modified and created her own clothes into bright

The year had been hard on everyone.

"Sammy?" His voice croaked as he addressed her, then his heart pained again as he spotted the baby wrapped close to her, Marcus' baby, the baby he'd never see. He and Marcus had had their differences before he died, but they had been best friends for twenty years, it broke him in two to see the two people that he'd loved so bereft, so alone.

Her blue eyes lifted to his and she offered a tight smile, "Joel. I need to speak to you."

Janet gushed over the baby for a moment, before he nodded, he didn't know what he could possibly have to offer her, but he would never turn her down. "Of course. Come in." He turned to Janet, "can we get some coffee please? I am parched."

Janet cooed at the baby then hugged Sammy before turning to him and smiling, "of course, and it'll be tea for you Sam?"

Sammy nodded, then followed him into the office as he digested the fact that his PA knew her better than he did.

Eleanor was heavy, so she was glad to spot the chair opposite Joel's desk, and she made for it. Lowering herself into the seat she watched Joel as he walked to the other side of the desk. He'd aged. He was always the youthful one, and his dark hair still had no hint of grey though he had passed thirty over a year earlier, but he did have more lines, creasing his brow as though he'd spent a lot of time frowning. Standing in the window, arms folded, resting his hips against the sill staring down at him, he seemed huge, like a monster. Or maybe that is what he'd become in her head.

"You had a daughter?"

Sammy glanced up to his eyes when he spoke, then she glanced down at the top of Ellie's head, her fair locks were covered in a pink knitted beanie hat.

"Does the hat give it away?"

He smiled but there was no humour, "I suppose. She's ok?"

That was a loaded question. They were about to be homeless, that was hardly 'ok', but as babies went she was healthy, she was happy and she was growing.

"She's good. She's called Eleanor, after my gran. But I call her Ellie."

She loosened the sling a little; it was hot for the baby when they were both wrapped up in it.

"It's a pretty name."

Nodding she threw herself in headfirst, "you were supposed to be godfather. That's what Marcus wanted..." she gulped, he'd not known about her, but he'd always said that was what he wanted when they had wistful talks about the future. "What he would have wanted." She corrected more quietly.

Joel turned away at that, and she was glad, it had hurt more than she wanted to admit, to think of that. The man in front of her was an indelible link to Marcus, and she wasn't sure she could control her tears around him.