I hopped off the bed and scurried out of the room, my phone in my hand.  I dialed Kyla’s number swiftly, bringing the phone to my ear as Dannon’s door closed behind me.  I leaned against the wall, a smile on my face.

Damn, it felt so good to smile again.

“Bri!” Kyla exclaimed, the worry and relief clear in her voice.  “I woke up this morning and you weren’t there.  Garrett said you went to the hospital.  Are you all right?”

“You’re never going to believe what happened!” I exclaimed, ignoring my friend’s questions.  It wasn’t to be rude.  I just couldn’t keep the words inside me.

“Holy shit!” Kyla shrieked even though I hadn’t told her a single detail.  She paused before muttering a quick, “Sorry guys!  It’s Brianne.”  She turned her attention back to me, the anticipation clear in the undertone of her voice.  “You sound back to normal.  What happened?”

I could distinctly hear crew members groaning because Kyla woke them up.  Oh well.  Everyone needed to hear this.  “Dannon’s awake!” I shrieked, not at all caring that patients were probably ticked off that I just woke them up.  Sleep didn’t matter right now.  What mattered was that Dannon was awake.  Awake.  “He’s awake, Kyla.  He’s come back to us!”

Kyla gasped and then she was screaming and yelling out in glee.  “Seriously?  That—that’s amazing!  What—how?  I don’t even—oh my God!”

I laughed.  “Yeah, I’m serious.  The doctors are doing some tests to see where he stands with the cancer, but he seems absolutely fine.”

Kyla sounded like she was close to hyperventilation.  “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!”  I heard zipping, and I instantly knew that she was getting out of bed.  “Everyone!  Guys!  Dannon—he’s awake!  Oliver—he’s awake!”

I laughed, feeling the familiar sense of joy—pure joy—jumping around in my stomach, making its way to my throat.  I missed this feeling so much.  So, so damn much.  “Can you put Garrett on the phone?” I asked.  “I need to tell him.”

“Definitely!” Kyla shrieked, her voice high-pitched with happiness.  This always happened when she learned exciting news.  With this news her voice was almost so high-pitched that I couldn’t hear it at all.  “Hold on, he’s right here!”

Garrett, who obviously hadn’t heard Kyla’s shrieking, seemed confused to be handed Kyla’s cellular device.  “Brianne, hey,” he said softly.  “Do you need me to come pick you up?”

“Garret—how could you not have heard Kyla?” I demanded, my voice light.  Before he could even think to defend himself, I cut him off.  “Never mind, that doesn’t matter.  Garrett—something amazing has happened!”

“Must be huge,” Garrett breathed.  “You sound—normal.”

Dannon’s awake!” I practically screamed.  “Garrett—he’s awake!”

There was a pause before suddenly Garrett was whooping so loudly that I had to pull the phone away from my ear.  “What?” he demanded loudly.  “Oh my—oh my gosh!  That’s fricken—amazing!  I’m coming down there right now.”

“Okay!”  I laughed giddily.  “I have to tell Tom, but I’ll see you later.”

“Count on it.”

I hung up the phone and immediately dialed up Tom.  In reality he should have been the first one that I called, but I couldn’t resist telling Kyla and Garrett first.  I smiled, bringing the phone to my ear, waiting impatiently for Tom to pick up.  How was he going to react?  Was he going to scream like Kyla had?  Or was he going to be calm?