Chapter 18: September boys

Start from the beginning

But this year it was different, because Alexis was certain Grace would insist to give Connor a gift of sorts on Saturday. Connor thought she was right about that, too. Grace wasn't like previous foster parents. Although clumsy and awkward, she had the biggest heart he'd seen, and was interested and involved in their lives so much. She really did care for them, and Connor couldn't help but feel bad that she would go to even further extents to do him any more favors.

-"... Listen I think that if she wants to give you something, you have to accept it."—Alexis said, then grabbing Connor's right hand in between hers—"We will still go out and I'll still take you to a nice coffee house, like always."

Connor smiled at the contact, and then grinned at Alexis, her eyes pouting as if she were a puppy. It looked kind of funny with her red beanie on, because she did somehow managed to look like a toddler.

-"Thanks, Al."—Connor said—"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Alexis clapped her hands, turning towards her phone and tapping the screen rapidly.

-"There's so many places here in Yule! It's amazing! And they're so close to Grace's, too—! Oh... I got a text..."

Connor looked from the corner of his eye, and saw that the text Alexis had received was from Trevor Moran. If he recalled correctly, he was a guy in her and Mikey's year she did drama with. Alexis blushed as she read the text, and then replied with a little grin on her face. Connor raised his eyebrows intently, as she sent it, put down her phone and then looked back at him, confused instantly.

-"... W-Why are you...?"

-"Al."—Connor stated—"Do you... like, this Trevor kid...?"

Alexis' pale cheeks were suddenly the same shade as a ripe tomato. She started talking, but, as every time when she is nervous, all came out was a blabbering stutter. Connor calmed her down by pressing a finger against her lips and smirking slightly.

-"Hey, hey, don't be embarrassed about it!"—he said—"Having crushes is completely normal at your age."

-"I do not have a...! A...!"—Alexis lowered her voice so low it seemed ridiculous Connor could hear her himself—"... crush!"

-"Doesn't seem that way to me."

-"W-Well how w-would you know!? You've never had any crushes! NEVER!"

Connor nodded.

-"That may be true."—he stated—"But still I'm the older one, so I know more about this stuff than you do. And, that also means I have to meet this Trevor kid..."

-"WHAT!?"

Alexis jumped off her seat with her eyes as wide as plates. Connor remained on his, looking towards her with a smirk.

-"YOU ARE SO NOT!"—she exclaimed.

-"Relax, Al! I was totally joking."—Connor brushed off.

-"Are you SURE!?"

-"Positive."

Connor's smirk told otherwise, but before Alexis could protest any further, they had already arrived at the school, so she didn't have the time to make Connor promise to their pinky fingers—or to notice that Connor was planning to meet Trevor anyways.

Still, just as there was something Alexis hadn't noticed, there was something Connor had failed to notice himself. And it was that when Alexis accused him of never having a crush, Connor had taken a second too long to confirm that.

He didn't even fully notice himself.

Connor had hesitated.

---