He who cannot be named Part 2

The journey was uneventful, and Vad arrived in Vanderdale one week later. He had travelled with a caravan, purchasing a horse with the Duke's money. Before leaving, he had updated Patrovich on his trip to the Lowlands. Patrovich said the Duke would be anxiously waiting for his return, and that of his Granddaughter.

Vanderdale was a large town, the centre of the Lowlands. It consisted of a small keep, residence of the local lord, and outpost of the Knights of Peace, law keepers of the land. There was also a small market, where farmers could come to sell their crops. There were a scattering of small villages across the rest of the Lowlands, so Vanderdale was a large bustling city compared to them.

Vad headed to the Knights of Peace outpost first. If anyone knew the Lowlands here, it would be them, as it was their duty to keep law in the rural areas as well as the urban. They had smaller outposts all across the land, usually stationed close to villages.

He showed the Prince's seal to the guards at the gate of the outpost, who hastily escorted him to the watch commander. The watch commander was a short soft balding man, who had toadied written all over him. He didn't disappoint by instantly groveling before Vad.

“Sir, I didn't expect you so soon.” the watch commander said, starting to sweat almost at once, “I ensure you the taxes will be collected before next full moon. There are some places that are holding out, but we will bring them in the fold soon. There is no need to trouble yourself with this, I ensure you.”

Wanting to see where the led, Vad said, “Is that so? Who can keep our mighty Knights of Peace at bay? Are not taxes also used to pay you and your men?”

“They are holding us at bay at the moment sir, but it’s only a matter of time. We will have our due.”

“And who would this be?”

“Surely you got our report? The village of Shire refuses us. They have gotten lucky so far, but we have them where we want them. They just had a large shipment from the capital pass through here.”

Shire, defying the Knights of Peace. Normally not a smart option, even with incompetents like this, because behind every weak official, is a strong one with a bigger army.

“What was in this shipment?” Vad asked.

“Limestone and some herbs I believe.”

“I am here on a different matter, but could be related. My business is in Shire, so I will need directions to get there.”

The watch commander looked like he almost pooped himself with relief. “Of course, of course! My aid will help you on your quest. Weskel, get in here right now, and bring a map!”

A small man hurried into the room with a map.

“Our good friend....” the watch commander trailed off waiting.

“Vad”

“Our good friend Sir Vad here would like to know where the village of Shire is”

“Ah, this isn't about their new mines is it?” Weskel said.

“New mines?” Vad answered.

“Aye sir, the village of Shire is located near a volcano, and has many caves surrounding the area. They have been hiring many men recently from our fair town here, so the good watch commander has brilliantly deducted they have been mining something there, and withholding it from the Prince. We have sent a report straight away. We would ah...investigate ourselves, but the watch commander has decided to wait for reinforcements.”

The Prince was concerned with hewhocannotbenamed first, and the Azantine horde second. The brilliant watch commander would be waiting many years for reinforcements, more likely a headsman and a replacement for his position would come.