I stared at him blankly and he took the hint to go on.

"You weren't looking for a relationship, and we both made that clear. I think I just got greedy."

"You weren't being greedy, you just went after what you wanted. Not everyone can say the same."

He smiled at me. "Didn't get me anywhere."

I edged closer to him and placed a hand on his shoulder and he instantly stiffened, his eyes fluttering shut.

"Jake?" I whispered.

"It hurts."

My heart skipped a beat at the trace of yearning in his voice and I sucked in a deep breath. "Jake-"

Eyes still closed, he suddenly turned his head towards me and leaned closer to me until his lips pushed tightly against my own.

My eyes fell shut as his hand trailed up to my chest and twisted around to the back of my neck as he gently moved his lips along with mine.

I pushed him away, my eyes growing wide.

He winced, pushing himself away from me.

I shook my head before I stared at my hands. "I'm sorry I can't like you the way you want me to."

"It's nothing you can force yourself into."

I nodded. "I know. You deserve someone better."

"Nate, I don't want some-"

"Don't say it," I said quickly, my eyes screwing shut. "Please."

I couldn't help but think that's exactly how I used to be just weeks ago. Things changed. Really quickly.

"That's how I feel," he murmured.

I opened my eyes to look at him and said,"It won't change anything."

He lifted a shoulder, then let it drop. "I tried."

"Jake, you're a great friend. I don't want to lose you, but I understand if you don't want to see me."

He glanced away. "Are you sure?"

My heart dropped and I swallowed hard. "Y-yes."

"You think you can get rid of me that easily?" He smiled sadly. "I'll need time to get over this but I still want us to be friends. I'll still tutor you if you want."

My lips tugged in a smile and I nodded. "That sounds good."

"Good," he echoed.

"Do you want to stay? We could play video games."

"Not until we get some work done."

"Work?"

"As long as the money's still coming in, I'm your tutor. We've missed a lot of lessons."

I groaned. "But you didn't get any of the books."

"Which is good that I always keep an electronic version on my phone. I'll just have to transfer these onto your computer, c'mon," he said, standing up.

"B-but you said you needed time!" I sputtered.

He smiled. "I'll just pretend we're still together."

I scoffed. "If you kiss me again-"

"I won't," he said, but his smile widened just a little.

"Jake," I warned.

"Nate," he imitated me. "Get your butt on that chair."

I sighed in defeat before following his not so pleasant orders. "You win."