Chapter 4 - "I See That Finding A Mate Has Effed With Your Head."

Start from the beginning

I grab her elbow and force her into a halt. "What's gotten into you?" 

"What? It's not like you don't know what I'm talking about." She throws her hands up in exasperation. "It's the Mating Pull! Wait for a few hours and then see her reaction towards you. If it's still the same possessive attitude, you can go to la-la land, and dream about your happily ever after."

Ouch. That hurt.

"Are you insinuating that I'm not good enough for her?" I demand in a whisper, my voice clouded with the hurt I'm feeling. Her green eyes widen, her hand flying to her mouth.

"What? Goddess, no, Mike! What I'm telling is that you—" She jerks a thumb harshly, poking my chest, "—are too good for her! She's a monster who doesn't deserve someone as good as you! But no matter what, in the end, I know that you will love her even without that smitten look in your eyes right now since she's your . . . Mate," She finishes with a swallow, and a pained look crosses her eyes quickly before she conceals it with her usual air of bubbliness. "So, all that's left to do is to wait and see how she feels . . ." She trails off, and her eyes suddenly brim with tears. The sight of my best friend breaking down instantly makes my anger vanish, and my heart hurts for her.

"I know you're judging her because of whatever you heard, Nora, but please, I don't appreciate you saying stuff like that."  I assert in the most gentle tone I can muster, taking a step forward to pull her into my arms in an attempt to offer her some comfort.

She opens her mouth to defend herself but I shush her gently and hug her tighter, not wanting to get into it in the middle of her breakdown. Her small frame tucks easily into my larger one, and my chin rests on the top of her head. I squeeze her once more and tentatively voice my concern about the reason for her hysterics, feeling narcissistic and stupid for even considering it.  "Nora  . . . are you—um, are you afraid that we might no longer be friends? That I might stop loving you now that I've found my Mate?"

I feel her stiffen in my embrace, and I wait for an endless second while she struggles with the answer, holding my breath. Then, she nods mutely into my chest, making me sigh in relief as a small laugh escapes me. I grab Nora by the shoulders and pull her away, looking into her sad, shining eyes.

"Don't ever consider that possibility, okay? You are my best friend and the closest thing I have to a family. I have always loved you and I would give my life for you in a heartbeat. You hear me?" I declare fiercely, my eyes blazing with determination and promise as I stare into her watery gaze. For some reason, she sobs harder, and wraps her arms around my neck, burying her face into my t-shirt.

I wince in pain as my tender ribs burn, barely holding in a groan.

"I love you, too, Mike. I love you, too." She sobs out in a muffled voice as she clings to me like I was liable to disappear any second. The only person who'd ever said those words to me is Nora, and I can never get enough of them. I feel anchored, and a sensation of belonging somewhere fills me when my friend says those three simple words to me.

But why am I filled with a strange sense of longing all of a sudden?

Because you want your Mate to love you too, my Wolf comments, and I just about kick him to the back of my mind. Now's not the time to think about impossible things.

I just rub her back in what I hope is a comforting manner, and helplessly look up. A few students mill around, no one paying attention to the misfits, and I thank the Goddess that my bullies aren't here to mock us further. That's when my wandering gaze latches onto a set of icy blue ones, and I'm taken aback by the anger simmering in its depths. But something about this set of eyes is different; distinct from the usual hatred I receive from my bullies.