Chapter 14 - I'd Do It For You (Part 1)

I woke up in the best mood I'd been in since Mello had left me. My mood was then crushed by Mello when he called me in with a seemingly upset look on his face.

"You know of the Kira case? Do you not?" Mello said, the strain of hiding his emotions evident on his face. "I know very little, but enough to keep up." I replied. Mello sighed, he didn't want me to know about it did he?

"Good then you'll cooperate." Mello said flatly. It reminded me of Near and it unsettled me. "That depends on what I'd be doing." I retorted.

"I need you to distract for me while I kidnap Takada." He explained like it was the most common knowledge in the world.

"Will I die?" I said seriously.

"Maybe if her security guards get to you." He said. Again with the monotone.

"Fine I'll do it." I said with a sigh. "If I can have my gameboy!" It was Mellos turn to sigh as he pulled my gameboy out of his pants pocket. God only knows how he squeezed it into those tight pants with him.

"Yes!" I hissed in victory and put a fist in the air, imitating Mario.

I left the room and the air seemed less thick, less intense. Until Mello walked into my prison cell of a room. "M-Matt?..." He stuttered. "Hm?" I hummed and he flopped into my arms, "p-please d-don't do that job!" He said finally letting an emotion other than anger radiate off of him. "Mello since the day I met you I knew how much you strived to do your very best. How you longed to surpass Near and L. How my approval didn't matter to you, you just wanted to be first."

"With this case I know you're thinking the same way. I know that you are competing with the sheep again."

"And I know I couldn't live with myself if I didn't at least try to help you beat him..." I spoke to him softly with my arms wrapped around him protectively.

"Please Matt! Please d-don't!" He shouted and pathetically attempted to punch me but he couldn't do it.

"If you didn't want me to do this you wouldn't have proposed the idea." I reasoned and he stiffened. "When am I doing it?" I asked.

"Two days." He replies with a sniff.

"Anything else?" I asked and he shifted uncomfortably. "You could let go of me, I can't breath." He said muffled by my jumper.

I chuckled and ruffled his still girly boy blond hair. The only thing he hadn't changed...