Chapter 6

They went to the library. It was Mikey's idea. He thought that they should find out more about the thing they were dealing with and then they'd have a better chance with finding Frank. Gerard told them tales about what they got up to in their other life, a including Frank. 

"He sounds fun." Ray said, quietly while flicking through a book that was on his lap. 

"He is." Gerard pulled out another. They were all sitting in a circle on the floor pouring over books to do wtih alternate realities or universes. They had been there for hours but the no avail. Finally, just as Ray was about to nod off Mikey dropped a book into the middle, causing a loud thud. 

"I found something you might want to see." Gerard spun the heavy book arounnd to him and Ray. They read: 

Since times unknown people have spoken of beings, whether these beings are mystical creatures or beings not of this planet at all is unknown. Although the popular belief is Demons. The type of demon I am refering to is the passer between lives. It is believed that it pierces the veil between worlds and it has been heard of that it sends people into another world, not of their own. But then again all of this has not been recorded and has just been passed down by word of mouth. Demons have been known for their cunning and cruel nature. It has been told that they like to play games with humans. Lure them into their lair with a distraction manuver. You see, it has been told that Demons feed off of a persons fear, worry, anger. So if they make their victims as scared, worried and angry as possible, they feed better. If you ever find you're in a situation that may involve Demons, you're stuck. There is no way out of its clutches. You cannot win a game against a Demon. It makes you play for food. You are its meal on wheels. I found this out the hard way. But then again, whether or not you believe is a different story. 

- Mary Kleft. 

Everyone was silent and there was a knot in Gerard's stomach the size of a bowling ball. 

"Who is this Mary?" Ray breaks the silence. 

Mikey shook his head, "I found that in a fiction book, but apparently that was a extract from her diaries." 

Gerard suddenly looked up, "We have to find the diaries." 

The asked the librarian for any diaries from Mary Kleft and silently the woman reached behind her desk and gave them a very small and dirty book with only five small pages. 

"This was salvaged from a house fire. She went down with the house. Apparently she had three diaries but this was the only one found." The librarian said and looked back down at her desk. 

Gerard took a look at the diary and went back to the base of the library. As Mikey and Ray looked through some more books to see any more information about Demons, Gerard read. 

May 13th, 1889 

Diary,

I am going crazy. They visit me in my dreams. They give me clues of no sense. I am slowly loosing my sanity. As I said in my last Diary I thought I had a way back. But I don't . I cannot win. No one can win. My husband doesn't know me and I am utterly alone. It is all I can do but not string myself up about the stairway. I have no one to turn to. My life never existed. I used to be married to a man called Henry. But he doesn't know I exist now. Last week I went to the carpenter shop he ran and he regarded me as if I was a customer. Then I saw the ring and when I asked about his wife he told me about a radiant woman called Evangeline and children by the names of George, Cinthia and Morgan. Not Louise and Florence like my children with Henry. That was when I knew I could never go back. But my dreams are laced by Demons, telling me I can go back I just need to find the fire. What it even means I do not know! I have done everything to do with fire. I have lit candles at the church and prayed for my salvation. I have walked down endless streets only by candle light. But I do not know what to do. Maybe I should just make my new life worthwhile. Maybe just maybe I can forget about what was and focus on what is. 

- Mary. 

Gerard drew in a deep breath and continued onto the next. 

May 18th, 1889

Diary,

I have tried. Believe me I have tried. I have tried put my life back on track but I cannot do it. I wake in the night screaming because of what they tell me and make me dream. I have never been so afraid. I have never been so frustrated. Why did they pick me?! I have done nothing abnormal. I had a life, a family, a job. I went by unnoticed. It makes me sick when I think about it. But it's all I think about. I cannot handle it. I am shaking as I write this, the candle light beside me is casting shadows and I see curling shadows grasping my hand. I am going crazy. I can feel it. 

- Mary. 

Gerard slammed the diary shut. This person went through everything that is happening to him. And she slowly went crazy. 

Gerard felt like there was no hope. 

But he continued, this is the closest he had to an answer. 

June 1st, 1889

Diary,

My hair is falling out from my stress. This is the end. I cannot handle it. You cannot win against a Demon. I found that out. This will be my last entry. The candle is slowly fading and when it goes out, so will I. I have a hint of warning for those dealing with Demons. Never -

The entry suddenly cut off by black pages. They looked like they had been burnt. The fire. Gerard realized that she must have knocked over the candle and set fire to the house. With her in it. 

*   *  *

Let me know what you think. (:

Thankies for reading (:

- Amy (: