10

Since I have been doing the dishes I can hear Lucky and Ray laughing and talking even from their location all the way upstairs. The sun has set behind the trees in my back yard and I am still completely with out knowledge of when or if Grayson is coming home. It's going to be tougher for me to watch Ray once he moves out.

I am nervous to go back upstairs and join them because who knows if Ray will embarrass me again or even if Lucky wants to hang out with me, because he seems to think that my sister is way cooler then I am.

For some reason I kind of want to invite Landon over, he likes my company. I stand in silence in the kitchen with my back leaned back against the counter just thinking for a few moments. It would be best if I didn't invite him over because that would mean I have two boys over while I am baby sitting Ray and that might not fly very well if Grayson or my mom were to find out. Even though it has never happened my mother always tells me not to have boys over while I am home alone. So I am already breaking that rule with Lucky right now.

"Uh...Jacks!" Lucky's voice calls me from upstairs.

"What?" I yell back.

"R-Ray needs you!" I notice the panic in his voice now and my feet quickly carry my up the stairs and I see Lucky standing in Ray doors way. With out much awareness of my surroundings I race into Ray's room and she in sobbing with her face in her hands.

"Ray? Ray? What happened?"

Her small frame is shaking and she doesn't answer but continues to let out muffled sobs. My sisterly instincts kick in and I wrap my arms around her to cradle her.

"Shhhh....Ray it's okay." I whisper to her even though I am not sure if it is.

She shutters again and gasps for air through her hands.

"Lift your head up please." I rubs her back in small circles.

She lifts her head up slightly and her puffy red face is wet from a mixture of tears and drool. Her bottom lip quivers and I can tell she didn't hurt herself or get injured in someway which is a relief. Just to make sure I glance behind me to see if Lucky was still here but the door is closed and he isn't in the room.

"What happened?" I ask her feeling anxiety in my chest.

"I-I...I asked L-Lucky to be my daaaddd." She burst in to tears again.

I felt tears brim my eyes. She wanted Lucky to replace our father who has been gone for a long time now. I remember my mom talking to me about how he wasn't a loyal father and he won't be coming back home anymore when I was 13, Ray had just turned 3.

"Ray Lucky can't be your dad...he can be your friend though." My heart aches as I break this to her.

"I want a dad." She struggles to say through her heavy breathing.

I let my tears slide down my face, my baby sister crying at the lost of a father figure and clearly being rejected by Lucky.

"Ray, you need to sleep this off I think."

She leans her head into my chest and I stroke my hand drown her hair.

"You and I don't need a father Ray, we have Grayson and Mom and each other."

"I'm sorry." She sniffles.

"It's not your fault...I am sure Lucky will forgive you and you guys can still be best friends."

A soft smile finally curves on her thin lips. She is probably exhausted and over emotional so I gently slide my arms under hers to lift her up. She grips my shirt and I lay her on her bed before pulling the covers up to her chin.