I Want Him Back... - Part 6

That night was the first time in a month that nightmares hadn't corrupted her sleep. It was an odd feeling, waking to the sound of an alarm instead of to the sound of her own screaming. She let the feeling fill her from head to toe with satisfaction before rolling out of bed. Her bedside clock read 6:30. It was such an ordinary time and it made such a difference. She felt refreshed and well-rested for a change, which gave her an extra boost of confidence. Today, at least, she would do something useful.

Tiptoeing into the kitchen, she looked into the fridge. There was hardly anything and she found herself wondering when the last time she'd eaten breakfast was. It had definitely been a while...no, she couldn't even remember what it was she used to eat. It was a hopeless exercise but the lack of such a normal knowledge left Belinda frustrated. Surely, she thought, I have not been so stupid as to...but she had. She was always forgetting breakfast in her rush in the mornings. All of this because of a nightmare...

No matter now, she needed to get back to sorting her breakfast today. Hmm...maybe she should have...some toast? Yes, toast was a safe option, she decided, sticking bread into the toaster. Now, what to have on it...

It took her until her toast popped out of the toaster to decide what to have on it but then she was happy to crunch away on it happily. And then, realising how hungry she was, she grabbed an apple before making her way up to the shower-room again, wanting to wash away...she halted. Normally, she wanted to wash away the sweat and tears that came with her dream but today...well, she was still going to shower. She may be a freak but she wasn't an unhygienic freak.

She was finished with her shower before Maggie was out of bed but ran into Gina in the hall. Gina looked surprised to see her awake and Belinda didn't remember until she was safely in her room that Gina wasn't aware that her nightmares were all that frequent. Maggie must have kept true to her word that first night, not letting on how bad they really were...she would have to find some way to repay them both: Maggie for being so reliable and Gina for giving her a home.

Soon, she went to make sure Maggie was getting up and dressed, knowing that it would be different considering there was no midnight wake up call. Entering her room was a rarity and she never got to see Maggie asleep in bed. Sure, occasionally Maggie would fall asleep on Belinda's lap but it was usually Maggie lulling Belinda to sleep now. And so Belinda grasped Maggie by the shoulder gently, shaking her and murmuring a few 'good morning's.

It took a few minutes but eventually Maggie's sleepy brown eyes met Belinda's own green ones. But once she had gained her bearings she beamed at Belinda, her thin arms wrapping around Belinda's waist. Belinda couldn't help but hug that tiny child back, feeling a growing spread of warmth uncurl in her heart.

"You did it Belinda! You've never made it through a night before," Maggie whispered excitedly. "It's because you talked to Jack, isn't it? I knew he would be good for you. Oh wow, I'm so happy!"

"Yeah, we both finally got a proper night's sleep," Belinda chortled. "And now you have to get ready for school if you want me to walk with you. I actually have time for a change!"

Maggie was up and dressed so quickly that Belinda had to smile. Maggie even had the time to pick her breakfast leisurely, bringing Belinda's earlier thoughts back to the forefront of her mind. She watched Maggie, puzzled at how it seemed so ordinary for her to just pick her food and eat it. Must be a routine thing, she thought to herself. Voicing her curiosity from before, Maggie gave her an odd, yet amused, look.

"I don't know Belinda," Maggie said earnestly. "You've never eaten breakfast here before. Not even on weekends."

"Huh. I'll have to make us some pancakes sometime soon then. They're my favourite," she confessed, her eyes lighting up. "You finished? Because we should really get going before it gets too late."

Leaving Maggie at the primary school gates she was aware of the strange looks aimed at her from all sides. The parents were gossiping and the other children weren't much better. She could see Maggie's friends watching her leave and she waved one last time before going back the way she came. She made a quick check on her watch before making her walk a little hastier. She had told a tiny white lie this morning - she didn't really have time but she knew Maggie enjoyed the talks on the way to school. It got lonely when you walked alone.

It was funny that as she thought of this someone went whizzing past her, clipping her arm as they went. The person stopped their bicycle and made an about turn to make sure she was okay. But their eyes crinkled after the instant recognition. Jack smiled before remembering he had just hit her and a concerned expression ran across his features.

"Hey Bel, I'm sorry! I didn't really see you there."

"Hey no problem, it's not so bad. It just stings a little," she teased, knowing he knew it didn't even sting. "Don't suppose you can give me a lift, considering I'm damaged? I would hate to be late because of it."

The joking came naturally, although Jack did give her a lift. It took at least ten minutes off of her walk and she got to talk to Jack once they arrived. He didn't so much as look at the people he usually hung out with and that gave Belinda a warm glow inside. It was so unusual to have a friend again, so long after her last one. And Jess had never been this easy to talk to.

"So I take it your mum didn't totally freak out when you didn't show up straight away?" Belinda said, remembering why he needed to leave so suddenly. "I mean, you don't look like you got in trouble..."

"Yeah, she got in just after I did," Jack said, grinning widely. "She had no idea I wasn't home before that so she didn't ask. But I did tell her I made friends with you." Seeing the quizzical look on Belinda's face he added, "She asked how my day went."

Belinda smiled again, enjoying the stares she was getting from people as she talked to Jack. It wasn't often she got stares that were neither pity nor hate. Jealousy was new to her - at least when it was directed at her.