A Past Worth Remembering

Mary (Ariel's) Memories

"Ariel you are destined for a wonderful life, my dear daughter." The woman with long red hair and sea blue eyes says as she lifts a baby up into the air. All the sudden her smile fades as she hands the baby to a man with a long brown beard. "Go!" She says and the man dives into the water, making me follow him. At first I freak out until I realize I can breathe underwater. 

'Wait I remember this,' I say as I look back toward the surface to see red filling the water. 'This was the day my mother died.' I say as I look back at the merman surrounded by a group of younger mermaids looks of sadness and fear filling their eyes. 

"Mary?" I hear from beside me and I turn to see Sam holding my hand. 

"Sam? How are you here?" He shakes his head as he looks around at my memory. 

"I have no idea. What's going on?" I look back toward where my mother had been and sigh. 

"This is the day my mother died." 

"What?" Sam says as he follows my gaze to the red stained part of the sea above us. Then turns back to me his face filled with sadness and says, "Mary I'm so sorry." 

I shrug as my grip on his hand tightens. "This is like looking through a mirror at all my past memories." I say as I release Sam's hand and reach out toward my family. "Aquata, Arista, Alana, Attina, Andrina, and Adella." I say as I look at the girls surrounding my father. 

"Huh?" Sam says as he follows my gaze. 

"Those are my sisters names, my mother loved names that started with the letter 'A'." 

Sam smiles as he says, "That's a lot of 'A' names." 

I smile as I stare over at them. "You were the only red head?" Sam says as he looks at all of them. 

"I was the only one that took after our mother, well in the looks department. I have to admit that I took after my father in every other way." 

Sam laughs as he says, "At least I'm not the only one who took after their father." I smile and rub his arm as the scenery changes. I look back to see a sunken ship and a lone mermaid searching through the wreckage. I laugh as I see a little flounder following behind the mermaid. "I remember this; this was when I found the snarfblat and the dinglehopper." 

"What?" Sam says a confused look covering his face.

I laugh as I say, "A pipe and a fork, although at the time I was fascinated by them and didn't know what they were called. So I went to scuttle and," I laugh out loud as the scenery changes to reveal me on the surface talking with a seagull. "Oh my god, Scuttle!" 

Sam laughs as he says, "So then you really did rely on information from a seagull, just like in the movie?" 

I fold my arms over my chest as I say, "I did." 

All of the sudden I hear a girl scream and I turn to see a young girl with raven hair thrashing around in the ocean miles from the shore. 

"Who is that?" Sam says as he follows the voice. 

I pause as pain fills my chest, "Regina." I watch as Ariel immediately swims over and saves the poor girl. 

"Who's Regina?" Sam says noticing my change of attitude. 

"She was my first human friend, after I saved her life we became friends. I used to visit her every day, until the day she lost Daniel." 

Sam tilts his head as he says, "Who's Daniel?"