Darkness of the Night

Start from the beginning

"Goodbye, Charlotte."

I left promptly and came back three days later to see him and get the rest of my school supplies. Hermione and the Weasleys were also there. We all went to get our stuff together. I was fitted for robes with Harry, and Ron, Hermione, and everyone else went to get all the books. It was a bit chaotic at first, but we managed to get everything done.

The rat started to avoid me when I tried to catch it, but then again it was always being chased by Hermione's demon cat, so I couldn't go after it because I was scared of cats.

The next day, we left to Hogwarts. It was hard to find an empty compartment, so we sat next to a sleeping man. We figured he was the new DADA professor, and that wasn't surprising. The thing that was surprising was his name. His trunk read Remus J. Lupin. My mind travelled back a few weeks, and I remembered, he was one of Sirius's friends. I refrained from commenting because Hermione would press for more information that I couldn't share.

The train ride was normal, until the Dementors came.

It was horrible. The compartment got cold, the lights went out, and Neville and Ginny came in. We tried to orient ourselves, but it didn't quite work. Then, Professor Lupin told us to be quiet and stay where we were. He appeared to be holding blue flames. The door flew open, and all you could see was the cloaked outline of the Dementor. Everything went downhill from then.

My mind went blank for a minute, then, I could very clearly see my brother with a sheet over his head. I wasn't really there, my eyes were open, but I could see it as if I was. There was a loud thump on the ground, and I could hear whimpering.

Professor Lupin was the next person to make a sound.

"None of us is hiding Sirius Black under our cloaks. Go."

All I could see was this glowing silvery light and then, the lights came back on.

Harry was on the floor and Ginny was in a corner crying. I don't know what happened to Harry, but I could only imagine that the Chamber of Secrets was on Ginny's mind.

Harry woke up after a bit of effort, and Professor Lupin shoved a piece of chocolate in his face. He didn't eat it until after Professor Lupin explained everything and then told him again to eat it.

We didn't talk for the rest of the ride. Yes, I admit, it was only 10 minutes, but a lot could be said in that time.

The next day, we had gotten our schedules. I had Muggle Studies when Harry, Ron and Hermione had Divination, and I had Ancient Runes when they had Care of Magical Creatures. Also, Hermione had a strange schedule, and she was also scheduled to have Muggle Studies and Ancient Runes with me. Magic Theory was run by Professor Babbling (who also taught Ancient Runes) and the club met Tuesdays and Thursdays before school, and Sundays after Lunch.

Malfoy had gotten himself put into the hospital wing on the first day for being an idiot. He went and cried to his father about that, so now the school governors are considering what to do with the hippogriff that "caused" the problem. I hope for Hagrid's sake that nothing bad will happen to Buckbeak even though I have never seen the hippogriff.

Malfoy decided that since his arm was covered in bandages in a sling that he was too invalid to prepare his own Potions ingredients, and Professor Snape being the bully he is, made Ron and Harry do it.

When I looked over to them, it looked like Malfoy was trying to rile them up and it was working. Harry was seething and Ron practically had steam coming out of his ear. I couldn't tell what they were saying. I say all the way across the room and I was focusing hard on my Potion because I'm prone to mess ups. I was satisfied with my potion. It was a few shades lighter than what it was supposed to be, but It was better than 3/4 of the class.