Beneath the Soil and 'Neath the Sand

19/08/15: my author's not at the bottom said there was a picture, but Wattpad was being stupid and there was no photo. Now there is. My author's note below explains everything.

It was October when strange things started happening. As expected, there were a lot more colds and flus, so Madame Pomfrey's sixth and seventh year students* were helping her out. I took a little longer in the hospital wing than usual, but it wasn't a problem. One of the odd things was Ginny.

She was still annoying and creepy, but she was pale and a lot more quiet. At least she had something else to do than bother us. She also seemed to disappear at times. Probably to go report back to the Harry Potter fan club that she started with Colin.

Anyway, other than the Ginny thing, Nearly Headless Nick was also acting weird. He was strangely happy, but at the same time very angry. I never found out what was wrong until Harry came up to Hermione, Ron, and I a bit excitedly.

"Nearly Headless Nick is having a Deathday Party, and he invited all of us."

It was all quite peculiar. I mean, why did he invite us? Aren't there older students that he knows better?

"Do you know why he invited us?" I asked.

"Well he only really invited me, but he suggested that you could come to. He wasn't very direct." He responded.

"When is it?" Hermione inquired.

"Halloween." Harry responded curtly.

"Won't people know if we aren't at the feast?"

"What about the food, mate?"

Hermione and Ron said simultaneously.

"Well Nick did help us get out of trouble more times than not, so don't we owe him this at least?" Harry said, pulling the guilt card with his puppy eyes. They were hard to resist.

"You can wipe that expression off of your face, Harry," I said and he looked very put off, so I continued, "It isn't necessary. We will all be at Nearly Headless Nick's Deathday Party, no matter who notices we aren't at the feast. I'm sure there will be food, it is a party after all."

My word was final, as it always was. We all had our roles in the group. Harry was the leader, Hermione was the brains, Ron was the morale booster, and I was the muscle. Not literally, though. I wasn't very strong. It was probably because I scared people. I also helped a lot with decisions, but only sometimes. We didn't really talk about this system until later, and with that I mean 5th year, but it was always there.

Halloween came around, and we were at the Deathday Party.

I was wrong. There was no food. Well, nothing for us to eat. The banquet was full of rancid, rotten food that wasn't fit for us living guests. Apparently, years old food allowed ghosts to "taste" it. It makes sense, but I sure wasn't happy about it. Neither was Ron.

"Thanks Charlotte. You just had to makes us come here and miss the feast. I thought you said there would be food." He said, put off.

"I thought there was, you prat. How was I supposed to know that ghosts 'ate' rotten food. I was just trying to be supportive of Harry. He is our friend, you know. And if you were really that hungry, you could always go to the feast. Otherwise, you're welcome to get sick."